Notices

The weirdest thing...

Old 10-18-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dim

The weirdest thing...

Hey guys,

Just over a month sober and going strong....
The weirdest thing happebed this morning but first a litttlw background. I'm a binge drinker but have never been a daily drinker. Normally I can go months without, but the slightest trigger starts the madness that has landed me in hospital on more than one occasion. I have dabbled with drugs throughout my life having tried almost everything at some point.. my brother is an ice addict and today unintentionally I came across his stash. I can't believe it but as soon as I did I wanted to smoke some!!!! I became riddled with anxiety and couldn't believe that it had this effect on me. I've tried ice on several occasions and today as soon as I saw it I wanted it! Thank god I had the restraint to avoid it because god knows it would have triggered a rollercoaster inside me that no doubt would've led to another hellhole bender. Another reminder that I need to stay vigilant around the clock because the slightest drop in focus and the merry go round starts all over again......

Sorry for the long post. Needed to share that x
Old 10-18-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dim,
Good job for posting when you felt the urge. Keep doing that when the AV kicks in. And great job on a month
Old 10-18-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job..... Hope you don't have to deal with knowing "ice" is constantly around. That sounds like a terrible temptation at this point for you. Stay strong.... Remove the temptation though!
Old 10-18-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you avoided that Dim. Ice is not something to dabble in, especially for those of us with addictive histories.

D
Old 10-18-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's good that you got through it. It's a good reason to have a plan in mind to help through those moments. Good job!
Old 10-18-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Dim View Post
I can't believe it but as soon as I did I wanted to smoke some!!!!
like saying you wanted to breathe or eat

the most normal natural thing in the world is for an addict/ alcoholic to want to get loaded

the fact that you made the right choice is the miracle

Old 10-18-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job Dim!! That is really strong of you not giving in to the craving, and you're right it's important to stay vigilant always for these things that come up so unexpectedly.
Good job on a month and going strong, and own your strength in making the right choice.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not weird at all - but yes it amazes me too when my addictive voice kicks in - it is breathtaking to realize how powerful, sneaky and deceptive it is. Once you get through the craving you look back and it's like what the heck was I just considering?!