Notices

Did anyone else have to stop caffeine for a while?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Just a nerd

Did anyone else have to stop caffeine for a while?

I'm a week into recovering from a 3-day alcohol binge, and I seem to be sleeping 3 hours for every 48 that pass.

To resolve the insomnia, I'm contemplating giving up caffeine for a while, but not looking forward to the headaches that will most likely ensue. I've been hooked on strong coffee since the age of 11, so I'm a hardwired junkie.

Did anybody else have any luck with giving up caffeine in the midst of withdrawal?
Old 10-19-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
One thing I did try was drinking something milder, like green tea. Made a big difference along with the medications I was taking. After 11 years sober I'm a coffee junkie again and my sleep patterns are pretty normal.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I always thought I was a caffeine addict for life, at one time drinking 4 cups of strong coffee a day, but lately I've been growing out of it. Like Astro, I've been drinking more green tea (which still has caffeine in it) and 1 cup of coffee instead of my usual 2-3 cups. I think the tea really helps with the withdrawal symtoms and besides it doesn't have the same "crashing" effect as coffee. Also, removing sugar from my coffee helped in that regard. I think the biggest thing is not drinking it too late in the afternoon.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Too much coffee (as much as I love it) can play havoc on my mind and body at times. Makes my aches and pains worse and messes with my sleep.

Taking time off does the body good.

I consider coffee to be a mild drug.
At the very least.

M-Bob
Old 12-06-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why not try half and half - half decaf and have regular. When I gave up caffeine I go very depressed. My day felt so flat.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I switched to half-caf in early recovery, and only one in the morning. I was just too jittery in general when I had any caffeine. My sleep was all over the place regardless of how much caffeine I had, though.

At about eight months sobriety I went back to full-caf and I now drink 2-3 espressos a day; which they say has less caffeine than regular drip coffee. I dunno. I don't get any residual effects from it if I don't put sugar in it. I can have one at 5PM and still go to sleep at 8PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm also a regular coffee drinker, if i am not drinking for that particular day that i need to do my job, i will lose focus and feel lazy to do anything. But i already knew my limit. My limit is only 2 tablespoon of coffee, if i go more than that, i cannot sleep for that day, having insomnia, headache and need more days to reconfigure normal biology time to sleep
Old 02-18-2017, 01:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The difference things like caffeine and sugar make on the body is truly ashtonishing.
I have been drinking decaf for 3 days now and it's really helping my sleep.
I've just read a post elsewhere that said drinking only water for the first 6+ months of the quit can really help the body to adjust better to losing toxins.
I know people who quit caffeine and feel better regardless of other addictions.
I've cut my normal usage to 4 cups before midday or I don't feel tired at bedtime but I'm considering only getting decaf in future.
PAWS can be a big problem eased, I believe, by limiting use of all substances that affect the brain and body and detoxing.