Notices

at the ER

Old 10-17-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

at the ER

after trying to self detox for 4 days I realized that it wasn't working. I woke up at 5am after drinking only 12 beers usually I drink 18 to 24... I layed in bed for only about an hour before starting to feel anxious. anxiousness followed with extreme panic that lasted for 10 minutes. I thought I was having a heart attack each breath seemed like my last. I layer in bed grasping for my life thinking this is how my family will find me. after talking myself down I was somehow able to make it to my car and drive to the ER. As I walked in I thought I was going to pass out my blood pressure and heart rate through the roof. finally made it to the back followed by 5 more attacks I couldn't control my body. my first scan 174/68 for blood pressure and my heart rate was between 98 - 110 pretty scary ****. after talking to some nurses and the doc they gave me something for my anxiety. brought everything back to normal ranges. long story short they don't have a detox program at that hospital. I got proscribed Ativan and sent home. if I can keep the anxiety at the door I should be fine I'm staying at my sister's for the next few days to be watched over. my blood tests and liver panel came back in normal ranges which surprises me as drinking daily for 5 years. maybe it's the Irish in me haha. I am done with alcohol after this very scary experience which me luck with the detox shouldn't be to bad now.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's imperative you make this the last time especially after wandering into physical withdrawal territory. It's a bad place to be and no turning back really, once your brain is chemically addicted. There is "kindling" that happens- good thing your tests came back in normal ranges, but don't let it fool you into thinking you can drink at all anymore.

How about staying here awhile and starting a new sober life?
Old 10-17-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you were able to get some professional help Smckay, I had a similar experience at the ER when I tried to go cold turkey myself. It's also a stark reminder that even tapering ( and not quitting CT ) can lead to withdrawals.

That's very kind of your sister to help you out, have you considered seeking an outpatient program or perhaps meetings to help you out locally? SR is always here too of course!
Old 10-17-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes

once I get through these withdrawals I'm going to try and attend some aa meetings
Old 10-17-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wishing you the absolute best!!
Old 10-17-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm wishing you strength
Old 10-17-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

speedy recovery

and then into recovery

God bless
Old 10-17-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you got some help smckay

D
Old 10-17-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, it's so good you went for help. You never have to go through this again - you can get through this & become healthy and sane. We're with you.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very smart of you to go to the ER. Wishing you the best of luck. I went through unfortunately a few withdrawals before I finally stopped, and I heard 2 things in my road to sobriety that were true. "You never have to go through this again," and "it gets better". I didnt care to hear either when I was in the agony of WDs, but turns out they are so true. Best of luck.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am glad you sought help Smckay and good luck with the rest of the detox
Old 10-17-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got professional help and that you're doing well.

There will be anxiety that pops up. Many of us struggle with this and have faith that will be able to lessen it and manage it much better.

As you continue your recovery, these books can help you to deal with your anxiety and panic:

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Anderson, Neil Victory Over the Darkness & Bondage Breaker

Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power

Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks

Chodron, Pema The Places That Scare You

Doidge, Norman MD The Brain That Changes Itself

Dyer, Wayne The Power of Intention and Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

Orsilla, Ken Mindful way Through Anxiety
Old 10-17-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would just like to add that once you reach that threshold, often times there is no going back to "normal" if you drink excessively again...you will flirt with the same miserable experience you just went through. Its a good deterrent actually. Glad you are being taken care of. Good job.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

its amazing how much Ativan works, I got the lorazepam because it was way less expensive but wow. this first day besides the hospital visit has been great. I'm experiencing no withdrawals, my anxiety is gone. Does lorazepam protect against DT's? I'm still worried about seizures...
Old 10-17-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would definitely ask a Dr that one. So good to hear you're feeling better right now though.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Look, lay down.

lay on your side, either side. bring your arms to fore, as if praying.

Breath. Breath in, breath out.

We are praying here, praying for passage.

It works, really.

Breath in, breath out.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smckay87 View Post
once I get through these withdrawals I'm going to try and attend some aa meetings
This is life and death. Don't try. Just do it. You've got to throw yourself into recovering. I'm glad you are taking the first steps!!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smckay87 View Post
its amazing how much Ativan works, I got the lorazepam because it was way less expensive but wow. this first day besides the hospital visit has been great. I'm experiencing no withdrawals, my anxiety is gone. Does lorazepam protect against DT's? I'm still worried about seizures...
Yes this type of medication is what is commonly prescribed for detox as they are anti-convulsion and sedatives to basically stop you from dying, plus to curb the anxiety and insomnia.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Remember the feelings you are having now, so that when the temptation comes to drink again you can ask yourself, "do I really want to go through the anxiety & stress AGAIN?" Sometimes not wanting to deal with the after effects of drinking can be our best deterrent. Feel better, all the best, you got this!
Old 10-18-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I recorded myself during the whole morning panic attacks and a bit at the hospital to look at when I'm thinking about drinking