Semi O/T - Is this you?

Old 10-17-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Semi O/T - Is this you?

I'm a Cubs fan and was watching the game last night with some friends. A commercial came on (I think for a tv or cable company or Netflix or something) with a sleeping beauty princess in the woods. The prince comes and kisses her and nothing happens, then he walks away. She opens one eye and says, "is he gone"? Then hops up to watch her favorite show.

At the same time my friend and I both said, "OMG! That was me!!!!"

I found it interesting that often times we're in relationships that we say we don't want to leave, but we fake sleep or otherwise hide to avoid interaction with them. I plan to never do that again. I'm still not sure I understand why we act like that's "acceptable" as a part of a relationship.

For me it was often to avoid rages or blame or negative interactions. Still not ok.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good insight, and thanks for sharing. I'd have to say I've done that at times myself...
Old 10-17-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wanted to avoid talking to someone drunk, listening to someone drunk, kissing alcohol breath, being intimate with someone drunk....ugg, it makes my stomach turn. Ugg...I felt like Sigourney Weaver with the alien monster inches from my face, at times...trying to find a happy place.

I'm still not sure I understand why we act like that's "acceptable" as a part of a relationship.

For me it was often to avoid rages or blame or negative interactions. Still not ok.
It was a survival tactic! We did what we did because that's what we needed to do at the time to get through. I'm with you. NEVER AGAIN!! We are far too healthy for that now.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes! Cubs fan here too and while I have been watching the games I too noticed this commercial. That's exactly it. I think Elizabeth Gilbert in Eat, Pray, Love said it best;

"Hadn't I wanted this? I had actively participated in every moment of the creation of this life. So why didn't I see myself in any of it? The only thing more impossible than staying... was leaving. I didn't want to hurt anybody, I wanted to slip quietly out the back door and not stop running until I reached Greenland."