Notices

Any advise on Antabuse ?

Old 10-16-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any advise on Antabuse ?

Well here I am still trying to get day one under my belt again.
My last visit to my doctor we discussed the possibility of me going on Antabuse if I could not get sober and stay sober.
I would love to hear any first hand information on the drug and if it was successful for you. I feel like it can't be any worse than me drinking but what I read about the side effects trouble me a bit.

Thanks
asixstringnut
Old 10-16-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have taken Antabuse. I took it at night, no side effects. It can be very hard on the liver if you drink on it...not to mention the fact that it makes one horribly sick. I have heard stories here that it can actually kill if mixed with alcohol but I've never personally known anyone that had that experience....thank god.

I would definitely only take it if you're working a solid, program....not just a plan but a true recovery program. I think of it as a little extra insurance in the beginning (I took it for a month after I left treatment) but bottom line is its not a solution in and of itself.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder guys - please don't give medical advice or recommendations - it's against our rules.

Just share your experience - thanks
D
Old 10-16-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by asixstringnut View Post
Well here I am still trying to get day one under my belt again.
My last visit to my doctor we discussed the possibility of me going on Antabuse if I could not get sober and stay sober.
I would love to hear any first hand information on the drug and if it was successful for you. I feel like it can't be any worse than me drinking but what I read about the side effects trouble me a bit.

Thanks
asixstringnut
Just wanted to add that I am not looking for medical advise, just personal experience.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He's referring to my post. Oops
Old 10-16-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like your edit Frick
D
Old 10-16-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my experience, it is wonderful drug when used correctly. I took it last year, before I stopped drinking- skipping doses, taking it then drinking, all kinds of nonsense. The worst consequences I faced was an afternoon of leg seizures and puking - this didn't seem like a big deal given some of what I'd put my body through; most people would have gotten themselves to a hospital. I do not recommend what I did this first period.

When I quit drinking in Feb, my dr and I decided I would take it again. Exactly as prescribed; I took it every day, between noon and two because I usually went to a noon AA mtg at the beginning. I had pages I always carried with me with lines for the date, time, my signature and a witness signature to every single time I took it, for 90 days. It became habit and something I looked forward to doing. If you are ready to be 100% committed to sobriety, I think it is a great tool. After 90 days, we decided I was fine without it; I continue to take Campral for cravings (I have not had a single one in 238 days so if that is part of why, I will happily take it forever) but didn't feel the need to take Antabuse any longer.

It is a serious drug, meant to be taken exactly as your dr prescribes, and used to be a deterrent to drinking at all.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr

Hi Six String.
Personal experience, yes i took that one. It was hopeless for me as i was taking it then dringking on and off. Be aware it made me mega sick. I was burning up sweating, eyes all red it was horrible. So i stopped it.
As august said its a drinking deterrent its supposed to disgust you out of drinking and believe me it is horrible when you mix the two...

So i would say to you are you ready and determined to GET and STAY sober because if not....
Old 10-17-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have used it on and off and think it is a good drug to use ONLY if you are totally ready to be sober. It is a good deterrent. I did have the side effect of being very drowsy. I took it at night to try and combat that but I was still really drowsy. However, being drowsy vs. being drunk...... you decide.
You cannot drink on it. I tired it and it was HELL. It stays in your system for two weeks after the last dosage- more or less. I once was taking it very regularly and then stopped. About a week later I had about two glasses of wine. Absolute hell on earth. I was at a restaurant. I had had a little wine before I went (about a half a glass) and then at the restaurant maybe another glass or so- maybe less, i don't know. I started to get so sweaty and dizzy. I excused myself from the table saying I was going to the bathroom but I went outside. I -are you ready for this- laid down on the ground on the sidewalk, tired ti sit up and perch myself against the wall. An old lady came by and asked if she should call an ambulance. I told her no, just go in and fine my party and ask them to come out and assist me. They came out. I was supposed to ride home on my boyfriend's vespa but there was no way. A friend drove me home in his car, i wa soaking wet, dying. Miserable. It was awful.
It is a good deterrent.