Notices

Hello

Old 10-15-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Hello

Hey everyone. I'm struggling with the faith in my higher power and turning things over. I'm 2 months sober today and still learning how the program works. I have the willingness (Step 3, pg 34) but I haven't found my faith in my higher power.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Hi, LeafsFan, and welcome to SR.

Faith is something I didn't get all at once, it had to grow.

What worked for me is kind of like going through the motions: behaving as if I had faith that this higher power thing could work for me. So I prayed, even though I wasn't sure that it would work, I just did it anyway. Then I carried on with the rest of the steps.

Turning things over for me meant at first that I needed to stop running the show and trying to make everything go my way.

The faith came in time. Things just happened in my life that helped to convince me that something was working. Still don't really know what it is, but that's enough for me.

Having a sponsor to help guide you, attending meetings and continuing to study and use the 12 Steps along with time will eventually bring you to greater and greater understanding.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Leaf,

2 months sober is amazing. Congrats!

You may be feeling like..as AA puts it....white knuckling. This is unhappy w sobriety.

Dangerous state. From a scientific angle, your brain is adapting to normalcy....it could take years. It deals w dopamine.

Mad's offering is...imo...solid.

Faith and hope are mysterious. Give a call to a good higher power, God...Budda....Allah....an angelic past relative....anyone or anything.

Give it an inkling of effort....5%.

If you are thinking you are alone spiritually, then you are being plagued by an entity that wishes you harm. Negative and obsessive thoughts are magnified in this state.

If you are in need...give..... offer hope and help here, or to anyone. Even a panhandling begger. Drop some stuff off at Goodwill. Etc. This increases your happiness.

Thanks for the post.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by LeafsFan View Post
I have the willingness (Step 3, pg 34) but I haven't found my faith in my higher power.
ah you mean in the 12X12

willingness is the key

i was beaten down enough to follow direction

the really old timers would say if youre questioning every damn thing go out and try some controlled drinking .... i would not say that because for me to drink is to die

im a big doer not a big thinker

Old 10-15-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Madbird View Post

What worked for me is kind of like going through the motions: behaving as if I had faith that this higher power thing could work for me. So I prayed, even though I wasn't sure that it would work, I just did it anyway. Then I carried on with the rest of the steps.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LF- faith, belief, higher power. They can be what ever I choose them to be. All I do know for me- bottom line is I cannot drink. I do not have to like it but no one ever promised me the pink cloud. For me it is very hard work. Seconds seem eternal some days. I kept waiting to feel good, for a miracle to happen- NOPE! So I will keep plugging away at my seconds. Stuff is certainly better, literally anything is better than being dead. Life is better- but I now accept it will probably always be hard work for me and the rewards are like saving money. No return without initial investment.PJ
Old 10-15-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum LeafsFan!!
Old 10-15-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the comments. Really appreciated! I am grateful for the advice and comments. My sponsor told me today too to pray even though I think it may not work...so I will do this.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you LeafsFan. It helps to have friends who understand and care . Hope you stay with us. Congratulations on your 2 sober months - that's great.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All you're doing on step three is making the decision to stop trying to take control of everything and everyone ourselves, and hand it over. Most things we don't actually have any control over anyway. We just scrabble around for that control, and get angry when we find our attempts are futile.

As it says in the 12 and 12... 'In all times of emitional disturbance or indecision we can pause, ask for quiet, and in the stillness simply say: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the diffrence. Thy will, not mine, be done."' And when we've handed it over, we have to keep breathing, and fight the urge to grab it back.

I found Earl Hightower and Sandy Beach's speaker recordings very helpful on this topic. The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 10-15-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome LeafsFan. We're very glad you're here.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I believe your HP has helped you stay sober 2 months.. When I look at my time sober I know I didn't do it by myself!

Recovery isn't a 100 yard dash it's a life long journey!! You're doing a great job! Keep it up!! Keep going to meetings, it will all come together!!
Old 10-15-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey leafs

I know what you mean. I've never been one to have faith in anyone or thing but me. That hasn't worked out so well. I've been saying the third step prayer each morning and praying when I'm stressed, anxious or obsessing on things I can't control. It's all about letting go. For me that will probably take time.....let go a bit, then a bit more etc. progress not perfection!
Old 10-15-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Human

You could put your faith in Auston Matthews
Hopefully I have the correct "Leafs"

Thank you for joining us. AA is a great opportunity, but not the only one. There's several resources on all different methods and support available here. I think it's a great idea to try praying, even if you're not identifying with your higher power just yet. Praying anyway may open the door to that connection for you.

I have not gone the way of AA, but a good prayer session and/or a decade on the rosary never fails to help.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There was a guy just outside who is prevaricating over finishing step 3. The heart ache, the tortuous journey, the time. Yes all of those things. For me- by the way I pass no judgement on any other than myself, all step work is a quiet, reflective affair. It matters naught how long or little it takes. It is a continuous, lifelong, cyclic skill. I use it in everything. Apparently even when I dream. I do not set times, I just do it- with my sponsor, counsellor, GP- anyone I believe who can enrich my growth. The steps could be called a theory of living, jazzed up to appear in a popular TV social culture program- does not matter. I know to listen to my irritating and persistent little voice in my head which tells me to stop going on about stuff and just do it. As I said- only about me- no one else. PJ