Notices

Can't go on like this

Old 10-15-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't go on like this

I phoned AA today...I love to go to a group..but the problem is that the group is 11 Miles from the village that I live in...And I don't have a car so I asked the person of AA if there is someone in the group out of my village...he anwsered no but he would see if there is someone who can pick me up and drive me back but he wasn't very sure bout it..I really hope he can find someone...Cos I realy can't go on like this.. I can't stop this boozin on my own and feel I really need help...I realy ,realy hope he find someone...
Old 10-15-2016, 02:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back Comeback88

There are online meetings of AA too - you could Google around to find ones that might suit you - that way you have a fallback if the transport thing doesn't work out or until you can work out some transport of your own ?

D
Old 10-15-2016, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Tuesday and Friday, 9 PM, SoberRecovery.com. Free, anonymous, no dress code and nobody minds if you munch on cheetos during the whole meeting.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Comeback,

AA is a way out of addiction for sure.

It is not the only way.

SR saved me. Online addiction recovery has worked for many folks here.

You will not see any online 30 years clean folks though...the internet wasn't that good until relatively recently.

But, in time there will be folks that stayed clean forever using online only.

Face to face interaction w non drinkers or ex drinkers is very important though.

For example, going to a YMCA bridge club will offer interaction w many sober people. Many will be non drinkers.

Getting their point of view on drinking will offer some role model options other than the AA flow.

I work out about 5 to 6 days a weak. At my gyms, I have met several ex drinkers. We talk about addiction. It helps.

Also, my wife is a non drinker. She tells me....just forget about drinking. Stop obsessing about it. I try and it works.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. This is a great place. You can find a lot of support, knowledge from all kinds of people here from all around the world and there is always someone here. I spent all my free time here during my first week of sobriety.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Online is great. IME, it is merely an adjunct (albeit an important one) to IRL work. Mine is indeed AA.

Anyone in your personal life who can take you? I didn't drive at first, couldn't have walked to a meeting, and my dad took me most of the time, or my mom did, or I used UBER or..... I was six months sober before I got a car and had done almost the 90 in 90 AA suggests as a start, and continued to make meetings happen til then, and since. My theory....if I could find a way to get to the liquor store, restaurant, grocery whatever....I could find a way to get to a meeting. The responsibility is mine alone- so waiting around or hoping someone will get me "there" even just in the immediate physical sense, leaves room for yet another excuse to keep drinking.

I recommend AA as at least a start to any and all. The bottom line, whatever you do, is that you have to be sober more than you want to drink. Not being near someone or something or some program can be an excuse....but it will be only that.

Good luck. You can find a better life on the sober side.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree that this site is a deep well of information, help, support, wisdom and comfort.

I spent a lot of time here after trying AA and finding it was not what was going to work for me.

Comeback88, there is a lot to read here. I read everything - from the Newcomers Class thread I was in to the Anxiety forum and the Spirituality forum and I spent a lot of time (still do) in the Friends and Family of Alcoholics forum.

Have you joined in on your Class thread? Here's the active one for October 2016 - just post in there and you'll be around others new to sobriety this month.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-thread.html

There is also the "One year and under" thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-56-a.html

The daily commitment thread (24 Hour thread)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-172-a.html

...and the weekender:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2016-a.html

Find a "home" here. Someone is always around.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello Comeback,
I got through my first 30 days by staying close to this Sober Recovery site. I stayed home for the first 4 days as I was going through the symptoms of withdrawal ( flu like symptoms, not severe). In that first 4 days I told myself...I am done, and I'm never going back! I was on this site for hours each day, gaining strength, wisdom, and support. You can do this!! AA is a great option for some, but the desire must come from deep inside of you...the desire to be free. If your ready to be done, fight with everything you've got!
Old 10-15-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your support and usefull links
Old 10-15-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How are you doing today, Comeback88?

Do you have plans for the day? I ate a lot in early sobriety, often in front of some binge-watching of TV. I treated myself like I was recovering from a serious illness - because I was. I grabbed naps whenever I could, because I was often jolted awake at 3 AM in early sobriety. That passes in time.

Clean sheets, clean pajamas or sweat pants, a hot shower, maybe a walk around the neighborhood. All great in early days.

I also made a gratitude list every day. It helped me change my focus. Great tool.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
How are you doing today, Comeback88?

Do you have plans for the day? I ate a lot in early sobriety, often in front of some binge-watching of TV. I treated myself like I was recovering from a serious illness - because I was. I grabbed naps whenever I could, because I was often jolted awake at 3 AM in early sobriety. That passes in time.

Clean sheets, clean pajamas or sweat pants, a hot shower, maybe a walk around the neighborhood. All great in early days.

I also made a gratitude list every day. It helped me change my focus. Great tool.
Thanks very much for asking biminiblue...Well I live in a very small village where there is only a bakery and a small shop ...so realy not much to do or to see but tonight it is Ladiesnight..I will go there with a neighbour who supports me a lot in getting sober..I don't even remember crying on her table last week completely drunk with a black out.her husband more than once had to make sure I got home safealy by walking the path together with me cos they where afraid that I would fall on the path again and would keep lying there...I was crying and telling her I couldn't go on like this nomore.I drank every few days .Altough I have still a little hangover I'm a allready preparing cos it starts in an hour...I first will drink some more water and coffee..and will throw the beers I still have left in my house away...
Old 10-15-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and you don't need to base your sobriety on someone picking you up and driving you to a meeting. I hope that you do get a ride and that the meeting is helpful, but regardless you can find support here and lots of inspiration to stop drinking and live a sober life.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back Comeback!!
Old 10-15-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Comeback. It might be useful to you to read some of the AA literature while you're waiting to hear about lifts to meetings. The Big Book is available to read free online if you look on the AA website. I'd also recommend their little book called Living Sober. That's very cheap to buy and available from Amazon or the AA website. The other book that really helped me early on was one called Monkey on My Shoulder, which I also got from Amazon (again, very cheap).

There are some great AA speaker recordings that you could listen to between meetings as well. Either on youtube (just search youtube aa speaker) or on this website where they are free to download... 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!

I hope that you find some way to get to a meeting soon.
Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB