Notices

New guy realizing I need help

Old 10-12-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy realizing I need help

Hey everyone, first time using this forum. I just turned 36 and my life is actually pretty good. I have promoted to one of the highest managment positions in my company, still in great shape, competitive amatuer golfer my only issue is i seem to drink out of boredom and it has started to bother me. I never really drank until I purchased my house when I was 28 and I started having a few beers a night. My days are usually busy, up at 4 am go for a run, shower, into work, drive to the golf range and practice for a few hours, work out, eat and then I hit my dead period. From about 7pm until I go to bed I crave alcohol. It has gotten to the point where I will have an entire bottle of wine a night and feel fine the next day. I'm not a fall down drunk and may never get to that level but I hate waking up at 4 am and feeling guilty about what I might be doing to my health.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Golfnut!! great to have you onboard!!
Old 10-12-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to you, GolfNut! You will find a ton of friendly, informed, supportive people here.

Just a couple things -- I wish I had quit when I was your age. And two, problem drinking tends to get worse instead of staying the same or getting better. If quitting is something you decide would be best for you, you have come to the right place!

Hope you stick around!
Old 10-12-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Golfnut

I agree with MeSo that drinking can escalate very quickly...if you can manage to quit and stay quit now, you'll be streets ahead.

Luckily the solution for boredom is a lot easier that a solution for alcoholism...find things to do that challenge you and keep you interested - or alternatively things that relax you in a healthy way - during those hours you'd usually drink

D
Old 10-12-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! It has been bothering me and there was a point a few weeks ago where I realized I drank every night for 14 straight nights. I want to quit and go back to the way I was before I started drinking.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Golfnut!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Golfnut. Is your goal to quit drinking altogether?
Old 10-13-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like a timely injecture. Welcome!
Old 10-13-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLCamper View Post
Welcome Golfnut. Is your goal to quit drinking altogether?
FL Camper, I really want to go back to the way things were before. I used to go weeks and even months without having a drink. I do not know if it is my personality but I need to always be doing something and at nights if I am not texting, reading, or on the computer I am fine. If I am sitting there watching TV and trying to relax for the last hour out of the day I end up getting bored and it seems like drinking ends the boredom. Some nights when I am done working out at about 8pm I go to bed just to avoid it. I have not had a drink in 5 days now and as soon as I woke up this morning I started thinking WOW...Thursday night football... I can have my usual bottle of wine.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking and to live a sober life and be the person you want to be. I used to feel the need to be busy all the time too. In fact, I really felt anxious if I was alone with myself and nothing to do. It was uncomfortable. Thankfully, stopping drinking has changed all that and I have come to enjoy spending time with myself.

There is lots of information and support here, so take a look around.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Golfnut 528

If you are recognising in yourself that you want to go back to the way things were, the alcohol may be slowly starting to take you away from yourself.

Don't panic.

I had 25 months alcohol free. I have just come out of a 4 month on and off drinking time. Like that, I am thinking that if i could just go back to the way things were in the 25 months..... the problem is i cannot, as the universe keeps rolling on in a forward motion by the looks of time.

What i try to recognise is that in the present moment i can, with a little bit of practice, and a little bit of intention , make things the way that works for me, minus the alcohol.

Heres something that works for me.

In the evening, I disconnect all the technology, and light a candle. I try to become present. It doesn't always work, but i try it anyway..... sometimes for 10- 15minutes to start.

Without all the distractions of everyday life, i find that everything is where it should be, and i am ok.

After this little stillness...... i usually find it is not alcohol i am searching for.....

Hope this helps.