FYI: on the use of CAPS!!!!!

Old 10-11-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello people

Just an "FYI" on protocol in online forums. Since there is no way to gauge another persons' response to what is written on a computer forum a simple protocol has emerged over the decades. Things like "smileys" "emoticons", "emojii" are probably known to all of you.

One thing that some people overlook is that using ALL CAPS is considered to be SHOUTING!!!! Which means that if you use all caps in your posts I get PMs complaining about rudeness.

If you _meant_ to shout, well then go ahead and SHOUT!!! But if you meant to _emphasize_ what you are saying then use the "underscore" just before and after the word you want to _emphasize_.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 10-11-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i'd be a considered an offender.....i use caps frequently, but as _emphasis_ - the underscore thingie is a pain. but i'm teachable! SORRY to anyone offended.....
Old 10-11-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HAHA! I am a serious offender - thanks for the reminder! Is bold kosher? Underscores just don't seem strong enough when I'm feeling _really emphatic_ about something.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto on being guilty of this. No offense intended to anyone. I shall mend my ALL CAPS ways, being a stickler for correctness.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think used judiciously, and for emphasis only, caps are OK. It's like raising your voice for emphasis. I find underscores more distracting, personally.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is caps vs. underscore vs. bold
APA vs. Chicago vs. MLA?

-PuzzledHeart aka "Guilty as Charged" aka "Citation Dork"
Old 10-11-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OMG, PH--

Citations are the bane of my sad existence. I don't know what I will do when my colleague, who knows the BlueBook (legal citation formatting) by heart, goes out on maternity leave at the end of the month. I can cite almost any case, but when you start getting into journals, books, periodicals, blog posts--ugh.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Underscoring is not the way to go. I've not seen that used since late 90's. Bolding is easy to do but I see the use of caps by Anvil and most people here as simply putting a bit of "oomph" in there. Please, if there is such a problem I'm praying everyone doesn't underscore......it's terribly distracting and the message may be lost.

Am typing on a kindle ...pls excuse me being blunt. Took me 10 minutes to write this post!
Old 10-11-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Guilty ( raising hand )
Old 10-11-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm with Desert Eyes on this one...Caps are usually seen as aggressive on nearly all of the forums I frequent.

Some forums even ban 'cappers'.

D
Old 10-11-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

LexieCat,

I'm old enough to remember when you had to do this stuff manually. I went to grad school later in life, and when I found out about those citation websites that chug out those suckers if you copy and paste the URL I nearly sobbed great tears of joy.

Despite my hatred for the actual act of citing, I'm known for constantly reminding people to list sources until I'm blue in the face.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks Dee for the general consensus on other forums......i don't visit other forums, only _sr_ so i am guilty of being socially naive. i guess i always thought it was considered yelling when a person types the whole thing in caps....but that was probably like in the 90's or something.......
Old 10-11-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't find it a problem. I was informed some people are "visual impaired" and it helps using the CAPS key. Not all forums have the option of changing "font's".
Old 10-11-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

GUILTY AS CHARGED.......ugh! SORRY!!!
Old 10-11-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You all are just cracking me up. Ask a bunch of codies to ease off on the caps and what happens? caps everywhere !!!

* lol *

... and for the record, I was writing posts on arpa-net in the late 70's, so you all are just a bunch of kids

Mike
* we didn't even _have_ lowercase back then *
Old 10-11-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thanks Dee for the general consensus on other forums......i don't visit other forums, only _sr_ so i am guilty of being socially naive. i guess i always thought it was considered yelling when a person types the whole thing in caps....but that was probably like in the 90's or something.......
That's what I thought too. I don't find occasional caps to look like shouting at all. They look like emphasis. Underscores are awful.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I also use caps, and I am with those who don't find capping a given word or phrase to be a sin. An entire post written in caps? Now that is a no-no and I understand why.

I am amazed that anyone would complain to a moderator about something like this, and I'm equally amazed that it would be taken seriously enough to tell people they have to change the way they post b/c of it, If this member were to go to Alanon, he/she would hear "take what you like and leave the rest", not "tell us about anything you don't like and we'll tailor the meeting to your specifications."

I get it about not wanting to offend folks who are beginning their search for recovery, but aren't we always saying "once there is an honest desire for recovery, nothing will stop the A/addict/codependent from getting there"? Is a capitalized word really going to prevent someone from finding a path to recovery? And don't we also tell folks to use the "ignore" button if there is a member they don't care to hear from?

I understand the need for rules about not giving medical advice, no flaming, and other major points. However, to me, someone else's dislike for the occasional use of caps is not at all equivalent to those things and falls squarely into the "not my monkey, not my circus" camp. "Life on life's terms", right?
Old 10-11-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 10-11-2016, 11:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I also use caps, and I am with those who don't find capping a given word or phrase to be a sin. An entire post written in caps? Now that is a no-no and I understand why.
This was my very first paragraph, Dee. To me, one word does not equal a whole post. I cap that word b/c yes, I do want to emphasize that one word! As the original post said, one of the problems with forum and email communication is the lack of additional cues about meaning. Capping one word = stressing one word = my voice rising in pitch on that word. That's what you'd hear if we were face to face, chatting. I don't understand why that is offensive in a written format.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

My image wasn't a response to your post Honeypig..just a little levity...but my bad for not reloading the page.

In all seriousness, I used CAPS yesterday to emphasise that going from one drug to another was a BAD BAD idea.

I know the poster and I thought the context was clear, so no worries.

I spend most of my time in Newcomers forum though and I have seen CAPS be a problem there.

New folks here can be skittish and I'm mindful of the established nettiquette.

I always try to avoid being misinterpreted as yelling at someone.

My message still seems to get across

D