Notices

Anxiety

Old 10-09-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

Hello. With the help of SR and a couple of family members in long term recovery I've managed to give up my addiction, alcohol for almost two years. It was tough and I had many failed attempts at first but eventually the desire to be sober out weighed my desire to drink. I tried AA but it didn't resonate with me...also I live in a small town and the main meeting with the most people was and still is lead by my previous landlord (who I can't stand)

One of the reasons my drinking got so out of control was to self medicate anxiety issues. I got therapy and was diagnosed with GAD and moderate agoraphobia. Hundreds if not thousands of dollars later, and after quitting alcohol I felt great for over a year. But now its coming back and I'm worried. Yesterday was very hard for me...I was at work and I work in sales so lots of one on one with lots of people. It was a high anxiety day for me and for a while I felt like I wasn't going to be able to make it through the day at work. I was worried I was going crazy or about to embarrass myself and put my job in jeopardy. I felt like running out of the building and going home, retreating. I knew I couldn't do that without risking my job and then all of a sudden there was the AV 'just have a drink and you'll be fine'. I didn't and did some deep belly breathing as a therapist taught me years ago. After about a half hour the anxiety was tolerable.

I'm scared now. I've been trying to battle this anxiety on my own for a couple of months but sadly it's not getting any better. Each day it's like starting all over again. I just bought a house and don't have hundreds of dollars to fork out every month again for therapy. There are two therapists in town who accept my insurance and the soonest either of them could see me is January of next year. The only way either would see me sooner is if I were suicidal which I'm not.

I'm in a weak vulnerable state and my addiction is trying to take advantage of it.. What do you all do when you're going through a difficult time and you feel your sobriety getting shaky? Also, does anyone have any book recommendations for dealing with anxiety?
Old 10-09-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well with your recovery.

I have anxiety and panic attacks and have since my teenage years. Like you, I self-medicated with alcohol when I felt I could no longer cope. Now, I still have to manage the anxiety and it's not always easy. But, there are ways to help yourself get through difficult moments and difficult days without medication. I have found two books that helped me a lot with simple breathing exercises and other tips:

From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett
When Panic Attacks by David Burns MD

I also find music helps me, as does meditation, walking, simplifying my life and generally working to find balance in my life each day.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here are some more book titles from our Book List:

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Chodron, Pema The Places That Scare You

Doidge, Norman MD The Brain That Changes Itself

Dyer, Wayne The Power of Intention and Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

Jeffers, Susan Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway

Orsilla, Ken Mindful way Through Anxiety
Old 10-09-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Years ago, Lucinda Bassett helped me as well. Back then, it was all on cassette tapes. I listened to them in my car over and over for about two years. I was able to stop having panic attacks. My GAD lessened as well. I still have anxiety but not like before. It's no longer debilitating.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Hawk07 View Post
What do you all do when you're going through a difficult time and you feel your sobriety getting shaky?
throw myself into service helping others

Old 10-09-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the book recommendations Anna. I will definitely try some of those. I used to love going on long walks to unwind but now if I venture too far from my house or a 'safe zone' I have a panic attack.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also deal with horrible anxiety and depression, and also know what a pain it can be trying to find therapists if perhaps you don't have the best insurance.
It really just takes some ground work on your end to call around and find someone who accepts it. Psychiatrists I know can take forever (It took me close to 3 months to can an appointment) but therapists are much larger in numbers and easier to get appointments with.
Most times if the therapist can't prescribe meds if needed, they can get in touch with your GP and they will prescribe them for you.