How do I handle this?

Old 10-08-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I handle this?

Tonight I was blessed and honored with a party given by my family to celebrate my 60th birthday. I'm pretty sure my son was high on heroin but I didn't say anything. I don't know if anyone else knew what was going on but I feel like I need to address it and I'm looking for your advice.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Address it with who? The Addict?
I would say too late for that.
If it would make you feel better you can try, but it is going to go in one ear and out the other.
Time for action was last night.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think it would have mattered when you did it- he would have denied it, and still will, until he's completely ready to give it up. Any attempts to address his using will end up in a huge argument that will bring stress and resentment to both of your lives. Get yourself help, that's all you can do.

So glad that you had your birthday bash. You deserve it! Keep setting an example for what the good life can be.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

what good will it do to tell him what he already knows? it's not your job to notify him every time you suspect he's high. if he's high, he KNOWS it. and it won't change a thing...................
Old 10-09-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I want him to know he's not fooling me or anyone else.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you sure you wouldn't be fooled? I just ask this because I know my ex was so darn good at fooling me. I wanted so badly to believe that he was sober. So I would confront him when I saw signs he was using, but he would act so shocked and offended that I would sort of hate myself for second-guessing him. Even when he tested positive on a drug test he'd be so adamant it was wrong that I'd find myself googling false-positive drug tests and hanging on to the 5% chance that that's what had happened, despite all of the other signs he'd been exhibiting (which, really, should have been proof enough).

But you have to do what you have to do. If you feel it weighing so heavily on your heart, then go ahead and address it. Just be prepared for the mind-warp that may come with it, and be strong in your convictions.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by allthatsgood View Post
I would tell him exactly this. He will deny it and say you are only fooling yourself and walk away but do not engage
Old 10-09-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

and again i will ask, what does that change? what does that DO exactly?

if you know or suspect he is using, what boundaries do you have around that? that is really all you can control.......your actions and reactions.