Notices

Well, this is a surprise !!

Old 10-08-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, this is a surprise !!

Have just had a family get together evening that always involves alcohol and for the past god knows how many of these I have never remembered the latter part of the evening. I have been totally abusing alcohol on a nightly basis recently but also reading SR obsessively day and night.
So, tonight for some unknown, unplanned reason I drank just three glasses of half white wine and half soda. When the family all left we hugged and thanked each other for a great evening and I felt like a normal person.
I cleared up, washed up and was totally in the real world with full recognition. I cant describe how good that felt. I also have a guest staying over and although everyone has gone to bed now (and being honest I am watching tv with a glass of wine), its half past mid night and I have catered to my guest, getting a glass of water, providing a clean towel etc, all with total clarity.
I cant remember the last time I was compos mentis at this time of night.
So, I am wondering, has all my reading of SR had a sub-conscious impact. Could I possibly give up drinking ?
Tonight, I see that its possible. Hope you all have a peaceful Sunday, I think I will for once.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's just as fun and do-able without any wine at all, Lolly! With no need to count how many glasses you've drunk during the evening. And no need to worry that the next time you try this you won't control your drinking and won't be so hospitable and kind.

Yes, you can give up drinking. I hope this has given you even more encouragement to see you can do it, that it is totally normal, and miles better than even the three half-glasses of wine during and the one (more?) glasses after.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you missp. I am still here, reading around the site with SAME glass, not ANOTHER ONE. I know its still drinking but hey, its way, way less than normal. I have "counted them" because I am capable of doing that for once as sad as that sounds. Starting to feel positive for the first time in ages.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find the help to get sober for good.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sipping 2 or 3 glasses of wine a week or a month is normal.

Doing this more than 3 or 4 times a week...is borderline alky. The danger for us alky.s lies in the inevitable overdose situation.

Especially when we are trying to stay clean and we start lieing about it. That is when the shame kicks in.

I used to overdose at least once per month.

It would usually start around 10 or 11 am and end around 9 pm. I would drink nearly a 750 ml of hard stuff. I would have withdrawals after those sessions. Didn't know the about the brain damage I was incurring.

It is hard to get sober...just to get sober. I could not do it.

Some folks had medical issues...like me......others get in trouble...e.g. dui....domestic..etc

The addiction...which most, govt units guidline, drinkers have...is strong...

I would have never stopped if not for this place to educate me...

Being fully clean is a good thing...it is how God intended us to live.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had many evenings when I just had a couple of drinks and told myself I was a normal drinker. the problem was it was only a matter of time before the next time I drank and drank and drank.

I'm not trying to put a downer on you. If sobriety is your goal I hope you have today as your day 1 . we are here for you.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry if my response did bring you down, Lolly. I made the comment about the one or more glasses of wine because I know when I was drinking it was never just one. In fact, people used to say that to my face ... with you, it's never "just one", Miss P.

I also know when I was drinking and had nights like you have just described where I was able to drink and function and actually even stop before it got messy, it was part of my addiction and not part of my recovery. I would feel good about being able to drink less but it was not like I was "progressing" to actually drinking less. The only progress I made was when I completely stopped.

I am therefore loth to say it is a good thing or to be congratulatory. I'm sorry Lolly. I do hope you will stop completely especially if you can actually contemplate doing that now.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I had many evenings when I just had a couple of drinks and told myself I was a normal drinker. the problem was it was only a matter of time before the next time I drank and drank and drank.

I'm not trying to put a downer on you. If sobriety is your goal I hope you have today as your day 1 . we are here for you.
I've been down that road myself. I'd give myself a big pat on the back but then a day or two later I'd be drinking morning to night.