The stickies

Old 10-08-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The stickies

When I first came to SR, I read the stickies pretty thoroughly. There was a lot there that I didn't/couldn't understand yet. I've gone back to them from time to time but usually only b/c I'm looking for a particular thread to link to for someone else. And of course I always refer newer members to the stickies.

Well, today I took my own advice and started looking thru just the "Classic Reading" section. Holy cow, there is a LOT there that is either new or I don't remember from before. And of course a lot of what I DO remember sounds different to me now than it did a year or two years or three years ago...

This "resting on my laurels" stuff is simply not cutting it!

Well, today I have made my start of reading a few threads from the stickies. I plan to work my way all the way thru again, reading a thread or a few threads as time allows until I've covered them all. Can't let that recovery progress stagnate!

Old 10-10-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a WONDERFUL reminder honeypig & it's an exercise I've gotten a lot out of in the past. I know that in the years that I've been a member here, the Mods have never stopped adding more & more to those sticky threads - it has grown into QUITE the collection!

I also go back & re-read my own posts as a way of measuring myself against myself -- my own personal yardstick for recovery. And I LOVE spending time simply digging through the old, old posts that just keep getting buried as time marches on. When I get fixated on something ( like "resentments", "detachment", etc) I just go keyword-searching using the advanced search.

It's no exaggeration when I say that I spent about 8 months just reading these forums before ever registering or posting a single word. There is SO much to learn from!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been doing some re-reading of my old posts, too, FS. It is amazing to me how something that I am certain I "will never forget" gets buried like any other thing under the layers of daily life and yes, gets forgotten...

People sometimes think this is "dwelling on" stuff, but there is a difference. If all I did was feel angry/sad/helpless/resentful all over again, then it would be dwelling. If I look back to see how far I've come, or to remind myself of a lesson I learned and need to remember, that is NOT dwelling--that is refreshing my memory in order to go forward even more strongly.

In addition to all the other things I'm grateful for about SR, I'm also grateful for the simple fact that it gives me a written record of my recovery journey, something I'm not sure I'd have otherwise.