Notices

The battle goes on

Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The battle goes on

Oh well I have finally decided I can't drink at all. Problem is I decide this every time I am hungover

I have tried to cut down soooo many times and I always end up back full circle wasted and felling sorry for myself for the next few days

I stopped for a month back in August and that's the longest I've gone in 25yrs.

I just feel so scared that I will just go back to my old ways.......I was on here 3 weeks ago and I'm here again saying the same old things again

Is there really hope in all this
Old 10-07-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this! What supports did you have in place when you stopped in August?

Two good threads on this site are the monthly classes, joining the October class would be a great start, it helps to have others at the same point in their recovery journey. Also, check in on the 24 hour thread each day, you will meet lots of great people, and it helps to have that accountability.

Looking forward to seeing you on here!
Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Newself,

My situation was very much the same...quit for awhile after a binge, feeling bad about my actions and my drinking. Then start up again to do it over and over and over.....again and again.
I finally had 8 months sober, and still danced with the demon again...and again. I began to think that this was going to be my life...drunk or hungover, and an occasional week of drying out.

Then I read the AVRT Rational Recovery website, and something clicked in my head. I am not saying it is for everyone, but it made sense to me. I don't have to suffer any longer, and neither do you! I had to understand how my AV (addictive voice) was manipulating my true desires, to be sober and free from the prison I had sentenced myself to for life.

I now am only 23 days into my new plan of sobriety, and I can say that it is different this time. I just had 3 days of extreme work related stress, and no urges to drink. My plan is working for me. Please discover a plan that works for you...and fight your AV with everything you've got!! You can do this too!!!
Old 10-07-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I felt the same way. This is the longest I've gone in so long. I feel better and then my AV starts talking. I'm in my third week.

It was a merry go round for awhile. Quitting and then going back and then quitting.

The truth is, all those other times I knew in my heart I would drink again. I was just hoping I wouldn't. This time I really know I can't drink anymore. And I'm done with the poison.

I hope you post more often and really commit to sobriety
Old 10-07-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

New,

My usual offering is repetitive to me and likely many here.

We are addicts. Addiction to alcohol is for life. It is a chronic condition. We will crave and get through it.

But, alcoholism is repetitive as well. Right?

What I have done is find sober mentors. I have 2 from work and several elsewhere. For example, J. Lo doesn't drink. I relate to her for some reason.

I want to be like my mentors...I am very proud of my sobriety.

As an addict, sobriety is my main priority. I will never drink again.

Saying that slams the door on the crave. I say it a bunch to myself everyday. It works. It is a mental crave destroyer.

Keep it simple. Read and post here. It keeps sobriety a priority.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newself123 View Post
Is there really hope in all this
There is, you just have to make it.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Blake lively also doesn't drink
Old 10-07-2016, 11:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Most of the people I know that have long-term sobriety have all had those cycles where they're sober for a little bit and then start drinking again. (Not saying it's ok and safe to drink again... just saying that I've noticed there's lots of "start overs" even with the ones that have been succeeding at sobriety for years.)
Old 10-07-2016, 11:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sober style

There's definitely hope if you take the reins and take action to remove alcohol from your life. You have the power to do that if you choose to. SR can help you do that!