Notices

Those nostalgic days...

Old 10-07-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Those nostalgic days...

I'm not sure if this healthy or not or me getting complacent etc im not sure. 3 years ago today a good friend died who was loved at my local I used to drink at. Unfortunately she got cancer and sadly lost her fight.

Today at no point have i been tempted or had any triggers to drink which is strange because I thought I would have done given what day it is. But I've have nostalgic memories going through my head all day putting a smile on my face thinking about all the laughs and how ****** up we used to get on nights out, every night basically. I just don't get why this hasn't triggered any cravings etc. I don't feel sad , I feel happy, and I worried when I shouldn't be, maybe I'm stronger and doing better than I thought I was.

Hope this makes sense, I just needed to write something down.

Cheers guys.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drinking isn't going to bring her or any of the many people in all of our lives we've lost, sure we can relive memories, but there's a hangover at the end of that night of drinking, I guarantee it!!

Instead let's remember those memories and be happy for what we shared with our loved ones, we got a chance to laugh and smile with them, it's a chapter in our lives that we shared with them together, so let's not spoil it with alcohol.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend James, continue to honour her memory by staying the course on your Sober journey!!
Old 10-07-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

You may not be experiencing cravings, which even surprises you, but 'nostalgia' can suggest a special kind of longing for people and things we lost, or at the very least, are currently unavailable to us. In my experience, these kinds of thoughts and feelings provide fertile ground for other, more powerful feelings, as well as cravings. Especially when we linger too long in our memories.

Be careful what you wish for.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you are just experiencing a normal reaction to the news of someones death, its perfectly ok to reminise about days gone by, I wouldnt anayalise it too much tbh, enjoy the memories - you are sober which is the main thing!
Old 10-08-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you're not feeling cravings. It sounds to me like you're having a perfectly normal reaction to an anniversary date. You're reflecting on what came before and is no more.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good advice here. I think you'll know the difference between nostalgic reverie and nostalgic longing to drink

I'm sorry for your loss James.

D