Notices

Twenty-five Years Today!

Old 10-07-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Twenty-five Years Today!

Today is my 25th AA birthday. I can honestly say that I have waited twenty-five years to celebrate this day. My usual meeting is at noon today and we will have a birthday cake and everything. My son will give me my chip and several friends will come to share the day with me. Wow! This feels really nice.

When I look back to where I was twenty-five years ago and where I am now, the difference is amazing. My drinking cost me my marriage, my home and the respect of my kids. In October of 1991 I was miserable, so I got sober and started all over - new town closer to work, new friends and a new life. It was a struggle, but I stayed with it and now I am a much happier man.

I was 50 when I finally got sober and am 75 now. There is no doubt that I would never have lived this long if my drinking had continued. After being divorced for 10 years, I was remarried to a fine woman and am happier now than ever before. I still go to a lot of meetings, sponsor several men, and recite the Serenity Prayer often.

Actually there are three things that have allowed me to make a new life for myself - AA, Counseling, and Church. AA gave me the ability to get and stay sober. It also helped me see who I was and make myself a better person. I worked with a good therapist who dug into my past and allowed me to exorcise some emotional demons. And I found a faith community that gave me spiritual support and a better understanding of my higher power. That is the tree-legged stool that I stand on.

I have had many problems in all that time, but they were a lot easier to deal with sober and sane. I like who I am now. I am sharing this with you, not to boast, but to assure you that it is possible to change your life for the better - to be a better person, to be a better friend to others, and to live a life of serenity. If I can do it, you can do it. Go to meetings. Get a sponsor. Work the steps as best you can and stay with it. Be honest, open and willing to do what it takes. It really is worth it. At least that's my experience.

I did this through Alcoholics Anonymous. When I started out, there was no internet, no Sober Recovery. SR is another excellent resource that is available to you now. Make use of whatever resources are available to you, but do whatever it takes. It works if you work it.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a wonderful message and thanks for sharing.

Congratulations on 25 years of recovery.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for that TG - nearing the end of my first year but to read that, for a quarter of a century and see how you have enjoyed a significant chunk of your life sober and in control is most certainly an inspiration.

Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 10-07-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stay with it!

Year one is a tremendous milestone. If you can make it a year, you can make it for 25. Congratulations. But just remember to make it tomorrow. We truly do this one day at a time.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

25 YEARS !!!

Old 10-07-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amazing! I love positive stories as it shows it can be done! Congratulations! I've been staying sober by going to meetings and the support they give me plus my higher power!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, congratulations on 25 years, TulsaGentleman!

Thank you for an inspiring post.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 10-07-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

25 years way to go your sobriety foundation is solid. Happy Birthday
Old 10-07-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That is pretty awesome like, really, really awesome.
Congrats on 25 years!!! And thank you for sharing your story. Very inspirational.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 25 years, TulsaGentleman! Thank you for sharing your inspirational story.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sober style

Whoa, 25 years! Congratulations, TulsaGentleman!
Old 10-07-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very very impressive. I selfishly take great joy in reading your post. I quit last year at 48 yrs old, and I know for a fact I also would not have made it to 75 drinking like I was. Now I feel like I've got a fighting chance. Thank you.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing TulsaGentleman and Congratulations on 25 years!!
Old 10-07-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations. 25 years is fantabulous
Old 10-07-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS, Gent!! What an inspiring accomplishment! Thank you for sharing and keep on keeping on!
Old 10-07-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What a great post and exactly what I needed to hear today. Congratulations!

I am 51. You have given me such hope.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

All I can say is WOW. So much hope and promise in your thread, congratulations and thank you for sharing your story with us!
Old 10-07-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TulsaGentleman View Post
Today is my 25th AA birthday. I can honestly say that I have waited twenty-five years to celebrate this day. My usual meeting is at noon today and we will have a birthday cake and everything. My son will give me my chip and several friends will come to share the day with me. Wow! This feels really nice.

When I look back to where I was twenty-five years ago and where I am now, the difference is amazing. My drinking cost me my marriage, my home and the respect of my kids. In October of 1991 I was miserable, so I got sober and started all over - new town closer to work, new friends and a new life. It was a struggle, but I stayed with it and now I am a much happier man.

I was 50 when I finally got sober and am 75 now. There is no doubt that I would never have lived this long if my drinking had continued. After being divorced for 10 years, I was remarried to a fine woman and am happier now than ever before. I still go to a lot of meetings, sponsor several men, and recite the Serenity Prayer often.

Actually there are three things that have allowed me to make a new life for myself - AA, Counseling, and Church. AA gave me the ability to get and stay sober. It also helped me see who I was and make myself a better person. I worked with a good therapist who dug into my past and allowed me to exorcise some emotional demons. And I found a faith community that gave me spiritual support and a better understanding of my higher power. That is the tree-legged stool that I stand on.

I have had many problems in all that time, but they were a lot easier to deal with sober and sane. I like who I am now. I am sharing this with you, not to boast, but to assure you that it is possible to change your life for the better - to be a better person, to be a better friend to others, and to live a life of serenity. If I can do it, you can do it. Go to meetings. Get a sponsor. Work the steps as best you can and stay with it. Be honest, open and willing to do what it takes. It really is worth it. At least that's my experience.

I did this through Alcoholics Anonymous. When I started out, there was no internet, no Sober Recovery. SR is another excellent resource that is available to you now. Make use of whatever resources are available to you, but do whatever it takes. It works if you work it.

Good luck.
YOU SIR are a LEGEND! Please stay around and show us the way
SO in awe - well done!!!
Z x