Do you ever get caught off guard???

Old 10-06-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you ever get caught off guard???

Am I crazy? Do you ever get caught off guard with a song that makes you feel sad because it reminds you of your addicted love one? Or seeing their friends who are enjoying their lives and doing ok and it makes you sad for your addicted love one? Or maybe it's a place you associate with them, again leaving you sad .Tonight was hard for me Because all of those things I just mentioned happened. Maybe it's because I'm feeling melancholy over turning 60 combined with not knowing if my son is clean or not. Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The parent child bond is such an incredibly strong one...tougher than timber....stronger than steel.....It starts the day they are born and just keeps on going....When they are little tykes they literally step on our toes...when they get older they tend to step on our hearts....What is a mother to do? I can worry myself sick. Last year my son fell down some stairs at a party and broke his ankle....he had been drinking...I'm pretty sure he was drunk....I worry....Now he's working as a part time bar tender....I worry....I don't think he's into hard drugs, but alcohol abuse is drug abuse too. I was worried when they went off to college. I remember how it was when I was in college...there's a certain amount of letting go for your own health that is important. I still have a hard time fathoming how fast they grew up and where the time went...
Old 10-07-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Yes, absolutely. Even though my son has been missing, lost in his addiction for over 10 years, anytime I hear "In The Arms of An Angel" I am reduced to tears. Also "Bridge Over Troubled Water" which was a positive song and one of his favourites when he was clean. I once wept over the produce in a grocery store when that song came on, it can hit anywhere.

I try not to let the sadness catch hold of me today, it leads no place good and makes my heart hurt. I take pause, process the feeling with a prayer, and then take my heart and head to happier memories and times.

I think it is a normal thing to feel these things, it's what we do with the feelings that matters.

Hugs from my heart to yours.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, allthatsgood.

My "qualifier" is my ex-husband, and I'm definitely triggered often. I pretty much only listen to Christian radio now- it's just safer, as most of the music is about Christ's love for us, not romantic love- those songs kill me! But there are two songs on Christian radio that **** me off so much when I hear them. They're both about married couples who drift apart and then learn to love again. I CANNOT listen to them. I start getting ideas in my head- start seeing him how I always wanted to before, start believing his lies all over again. I switch that dial, fast as I can.

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I'm sure it's even more difficult when it's your child. Please be good to yourself.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I cry at commercials and other triggers that pull my heart. I actually think of JJ every morning (and then either obsess or let go). Sending hugs, its okay to be lonely and sad for the moment, then we have to move forward. I always send my love to JJ in a prayer that I hope he gets from me each day.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, lots of triggers for me too.
Just getting our gang together and AS is not there. It's just not the same anymore....

I used to love the Holidays and now I dread them......

DAMN drugs!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Yeah. I got caught off guard at work one day in January 2012 when my AGF dumped me via text message, showed a picture of her and her new boyfriend from the Fellowship, and confessed to cheating on me multiple times.

Fun times.

Obviously, I lived...
Old 10-09-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

allthatsgood

Seeing photos my son is in and thinking of the past - bittersweet. I especially love the photos that include him and his grandparents and other photos taken with family members. I realize how fortunate he is (!) to have had the experience of growing up surrounded by a loving family.