Notices

Sleep in early recovery

Old 10-06-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep in early recovery

Hello,
First off I am checking in today, all sober, in one piece and doing so so so much better than yesterday's extreme anxiety and mental meltdown.
I have a question about sleep... Not sure if this can be answered or not because I am wondering about a supplement. Here goes... So whenever I quit drinking I would say that the extent of my withdrawal is at night when I go to sleep I feel like my body is trying to pull itself apart from a cellular level making it very difficult to sleep to say the least.. It is most uncomfortable and irritating to know that you have to be up in 8 hours.... 6 hours... 4hours.. You get the point. The when I get out of work fried from the day, all I want is mashed potatoes with butter and cheese and a nap that lasts 4-6 hours at 3p. This is obviously telling me my sleep/wake cycle is out of whack, so last night to be proactive I took melatonin.. I freakin passed out! I was off today, which is really good, but couldn't get out of bed til noon. I was so dreary... It didn't help that it was the 1st cold rainy day of autumn (to that I am grateful I can stay in my pajamas all day snuggling with my purring furballs as I please ). However night 2 and 3 are the hardest for sleep/wake cycle and I have to be up by 5am. Please let me know if anyone has suggestions to help make this any smoother. I see on the recovery plans it says you should force yourself to get into these strict lifestyle habits from the start.. Is that the first few days of withdrawal too? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I first got on SR, someone suggested making bedtime a complete ritual. Turn off the lights, all electronics, have a non-caffeine tea before bed. Turn sleeping into a habit that your body recognizes. I do remember after about a week or so getting some of the best sleep I had experienced in years. Real sleep, not passed out. Good job. Keep it up.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That does sound pretty luxurious
Old 10-06-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Garden girl,
I had very similar problems but at eight weeks everything started to get back to normal. I made myself get up early and would not take naps. Eventually I would get tired enough and sleep good every third night or so . It might sound weird but I would also eat my dinner later and made sure I went to bed with a full stomach. It really seemed to help. To give you hope I'm over three months now and sleep like a baby. Stick with it and you'll be good as new real soon
Old 10-07-2016, 11:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know sleep DOES get better with some sober time.
In the first few days of sobriety, I had to take OTC aids to help me sleep. (Melatonin never worked for me)

I now can fall asleep very easily, but for some reason I still wake up pretty tired and could sleep even more. I usually have to take naps on my days off too. (I'm at 54 days).
Don't really have much advice, just wanted to say that I can relate.
Also - hot baths with epsom salts and candles is EVERYTHING. Relaxes my body and muscles like none other.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Omg my withdrawals were terrible. I couldn't sleep for three days! Not a wink of sleep. By the third day I thought I was going crazy.

Three weeks later and I sleep soundly and easily. It's amazing but I'm still so tired. Think my body is still repairing itself.

The bath ritual is very soothing and a good idea