3 years without alcohol

Old 10-06-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 years without alcohol

Today marks the date I have been free from the intoxication of alcohol.

3 years wasn't a long time when I drank, whole years passed me by and although I had almost 11 months with very minimal moderated drinking when pregnant and a previous 4 months without any substance (including nicotine) during my early twenties I spent 20 years of my teenage/adult life addicted to one substance or another and never truly realised how much I had allowed alcohol to take over control of my life to the point that I spent almost 10 years of denial until I found myself in a situation that had occurred 15 years previous yet reality was no longer how i wanted it to be.

Today certain realities have changed, not only in reality yet also in my head, I am on my journey, I am seeking my purpose, I am still struggling to find my way through life without resorting to addictive maladaptive behaviours and although I still have a long way to go, 3 years is still not a long time, relatively my life has straightened out somewhat now I am on this path to freedom and so, in my mind the past 3 years have seemed much longer than the circular cycle of alcohol addiction which was, and only ever will be, an illusion.

3 years without alcohol and 3 years of grieving in a healthier way leads me to now being on the eve of the wedding of 2 very special people, my mothers youngest sister: 25 years sober, 2 weeks drinking, now 5 years without a drink and her husband to be, also 5 years free from the demon drink (30 yeRs a couple!)

So tomorrow, we (my mother & I) will surprise the happy couple by attending their marriage after having travelled 700+ miles to be here. So much love and understanding I am so pleased to be celebrating (in a non-alcoholic fashion) this REAL reality which is a living tale of hope for all of us who must learn that life begins once we put down the drink....

Forever.

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 10-06-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

What a beautiful and touching story, CZ. Best to you and your family. And congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 10-06-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations, CelticZebra! and enjoy that celebration with your family!
Old 10-07-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations CelticZebra, 3 years is absolutely awesome! �� ��. ��

Thank you for your beautiful, uplifting post. I've read many, many of your posts on the old AVRT threads and witnessed parts of your journey. I wondered what happened to folks who left for sober pastures new. So, you just filled me with such inspiration when you recently reappeared and posted on my thread.

This post fills me with hope, that facing reality is preferable to running away. I do hope that you enjoy the wedding of your aunt and her husband to be, celebrating life, fully aware of its special moments.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your achievement CZ

D
Old 10-07-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

way to go, CZ; congratulations.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations, CZ
Old 10-08-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So today is party day, there will be drinking by those who do not have the addictive disease that will be nice for them and my aunt, her husband and I, plus a few others will not drink because we just don't!
I never had the confidence in the past to be able to travel abroad, to spend time with people I have never met who speak a foreign language, to relax and enjoy my life without feeling I must behave in one way or another in a bid to please others but always failing to achieve peace within as I self-medicated those feelings of anxiety, low self-esteem and inadequacy with alcohol.
Today I am anxious in an excited way and genuinely interested in learning more about other humans and trying to keep myself free from the stress and depressive cycle my mind has so often defaulted to.
Wishing you all a happy and sober weekend wherever you are.

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 10-08-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulation!!!!! Awesome!!!! Just awesome!!!!!
Old 10-09-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

Who says zebras don't change their spots
Congrats!
Hope the trip and the wedding are wonderful
Old 11-14-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

congratulations!!!!!! what a beautiful story and accomplishment!!!
Old 11-14-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Celtic Zebra

D