Notices

New/ cravings/ help/ alone

Old 10-04-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New/ cravings/ help/ alone

I have been drinking fir 20 years since the age of 15. Drinking is ruining my life and I need help to stop. I have tried so many times to do it on my own and I cant, I always drink again. Recently my longest period with no alcohol was 2 weeks, However at present I am drinking twice a week. Now while this might not sound a lot on them days I drink loads and get wasted.

My cravings are really bad and I appear to have no impulse control as I always give in. Night times are the worst as I work in the day. My drinking is effecting my work, family and my health.

Two days ago I broke down while drinking and decided I couldn't cope with this any more. I rang AA however no one was available to speak to. I do have meetings near me but am very anxious about going.

I really need support networks and people to speak to on an evening when my cravings are bad. Please can anyone give me any advice on the cravings and also where to find people to speak to?
Old 10-04-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Lizzi,

This is a great place to be....welcome! The cravings are gonna bite, it does however start to get better. The evenings are hard, especially when we are alone and bored. I come here every day and read, post, and learn from others. I get out everyday, in addition to work. When I keep busy...I don't have as many cravings. Believe in yourself...YOU can leave the destruction of booze behind you.

Hang in there Lizzi
Old 10-04-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome.
My main time to drink was also at night due to working during the day.
I had no impulse control either. I'd make a firm decision in the beginning of the day that I wasn't going to drink later... well, when "later" came, all resolve went out the window, and the process started over again. (I had been to treatment for 6 months already as well)

I'm now almost 2 months sober, which is the longest I have gone without drinking in a very long time. What I did differently? I had to change my ENTIRE night routine. I couldn't come home, sit on my couch, and watch Netflix anymore because it was not the same without alcohol. So I've changed my after work routine for sure. I am on SR everyday. Being on here has helped TREMENDOUSLY. I have a "recovery journal" that lists my triggers, plans, healthy coping habits. I have had to come up with new coping mechanisms and new things to do during my free time so I'm not constantly thinking about alcohol. I keep my fridge stocked with LaCroix water because I don't want to drink just water... and it helps replace that carbonation of beer. Ordered lots of books (recovery related and just novels) which has also helped

Those are just a few of the things I have done. The main thing : Make a plan. Which I am sure most everyone here will stress the importance of that. Anyways.. I'm starting to get in the hang of living sober, but I am definitely nowhere close to the goal yet.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Welcome, Lizzi30.

I'm sorry that you couldn't get the help you needed from the AA helpline.

When you rang the helpline did they ask you for your phone number, so that someone could call you back?

That's the way it's supposed to work.
In our part of Southern England, someone would ring you back for a chat and, if you are open to it, they would take you to a meeting.

Perhaps this system is not working well in your area?

You can just show up at a meeting if you feel up to it.
I'm sure you will find people willing to listen and help.
Our meetings are very welcoming for the newcomer.

Just enter your postcode to find a meeting on any given day/evening:
Find a Meeting | AA Meetings | Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd

Perhaps try calling again?
They will get back to you.

0800 9177 650

Or you might want to email for help.
[email protected]

In the meantime, you will find a wealth of experience, strength, hope and help here on SR.
All you have to do is ask . . .
and you have.

All links provided with permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,

I'm surprised that no one from AA answered. Consider trying again. You may have already found this website, but I'll post it here:

Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd - Home

AA saved my life, but there are all kinds of options available. Do consider giving them another ring. Keep posting, and know that everyone here is rooting for you.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Lizzi

This is a great link on cravings
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Whether you end up at AA or not, I really recommend you think about a recovery plan too - how you'll actually stay sober?

This is a great link to information on that process too
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 10-05-2016, 02:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to see you here I do hope you make it to a meeting and continue to post here for support!

Early sobriety is tough but it is so very worth it!
Old 10-05-2016, 02:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CajunPrincess View Post
Hi, welcome.
I'm now almost 2 months sober, which is the longest I have gone without drinking in a very long time. What I did differently? I had to change my ENTIRE night routine. I couldn't come home, sit on my couch, and watch Netflix anymore because it was not the same without alcohol. So I've changed my after work routine for sure.
I did this too - changed my night routine entirely because evenings after work was my drinking time. Instead of my usual routine, I went to the gym, bought food to cook for dinner (instead of takeaway which I always did when I was drinking), gave the TV and couch a miss and used SR and recovery books a lot.

I really recommend this as a way to avoid the traps of evening drinking. It became part of my recovery plan.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lizzi. Sorry you were unable to get help quickly on the phone. I've never gone to an AA meeting, but I have found that posting here on SR is a good distraction during cravings. There are kind and thoughtful people here 24/7. You don't have to go at it alone.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep trying that AA number. Alternatively you can email the national response and they will be able to contact you that way.

[email protected]

It is nerve wracking getting to your first meeting - I remember my first one well. But it's worth it as it can be an amazing way to link up with others in recovery and learn how to get comfortable in sobriety. I wouldn't be without my lovely AA friends and the meetings really do help me.

Welcome to the forum.

BB
Old 10-06-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Lizzi!!