Notices

74 days

Old 10-04-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

74 days

Well I cannot believe that I'm saying this, but I have 74 days today. It's not a milestone, but I felt like I just needed to post and check in with everyone. I really don't know what I'm going to write about, I just feel like sharing and I'm going to see where this goes. Like most of my posts it will probably be long, but oh well. 74 days is great, but the pink cloud wore off quickly after I hit 30. Life kind of went back to normal (as it was before I ever started drinking)

As soon as I got the first 30 days without alcohol under my belt, I seriously moved onto another project of quitting smoking. Smoking kills 50% of people that do it and permanently cripples 85% of people that do it. So it was worth putting in some effort to quit. This took a lot of time and effort for me. Lots of missed work and" sick days" coming up with plans and lots of failures. For me quitting smoking has been really difficult and I didn't have any serious thoughts about drinking until I was off the cigs. However, I was secure enough in my sobriety to recognize that my brain said "drink" only because it didn't have the smoke. I've been off the cigs for 4 days now which means the worst is over and I woke up today feeling wonderful.

Life without drinking has been TOUGH, but not because I'm not drinking, life is tough in general, and drinking makes it harder than it has to be. It's been really rewarding to tell my parents that I'm x days sober every time they ask. Other people have noticed a positive change in me as well. This might sound a little bit odd, but in my 74 days, I've gotten quite sad on many occasions almost to the point of crying and really for reasons that don't seem logical and it has been amazing. Sitting there and feeling sad and not running to alcohol or nicotine to fix the sadness has been the most rewarding thing that I've experienced so far. There must be an evolutionary reason we get sad and possibly cry. It helps us like a fever does even though it's unpleasant at the time. Anyway, lots of love from me and to everyone that is in the early days or that has relapsed over 100 times (I definitely relapsed over 100 times since I joined this forum) it is possible to make a quit stick.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm really glad for you, Serper2014.
You are an inspiration to me, as I am only very early in sobriety.
And you gave up the cancer sticks too ... very well done
I have heard of reports saying that if you quit smoking along with boozing that you are more likely to stay quit (just what I heard, I don't know if it's true).
And it sounds like you are enjoying feeling your feelings too.

WONDERFUL post
~Blessings~
Old 10-04-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post Serper,

You have the same sobriety date as myself,

Keep up the good work,

Bruno.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Wonderful news!
Old 10-04-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job!

One thing I got from your post that I completely agree with is that experiencing life, all of it, is a reality and a blessing of sobriety. I have found (day 225 here) that over these short few months, I have FELT - and sometimes that is scary (ie, what am I doing with my life?) and frustrating (flat tire when I tried to go to work last night), amazing (this wonderful man is in love with me- and he is sober too!) etc....and I am so much better able to cope with the bad, enjoy the good etc.

Keep going!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Serper
Old 10-04-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

Great post, good going Serper!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 74 is fantastic Serper!!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very nice job serper. Keep up the great work.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Great post. Good motivation. Well written. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Serper

D
Old 10-04-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

74 is my favourite number!

Good on ya mate.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Great job!

One thing I got from your post that I completely agree with is that experiencing life, all of it, is a reality and a blessing of sobriety. I have found (day 225 here) that over these short few months, I have FELT - and sometimes that is scary (ie, what am I doing with my life?) and frustrating (flat tire when I tried to go to work last night), amazing (this wonderful man is in love with me- and he is sober too!) etc....and I am so much better able to cope with the bad, enjoy the good etc.

Keep going!
Yeah life goes on without drinking. It's not like it's all the sudden magically better. The things in life that have nothing to do with drinking aren't easier, it's just not as difficult without the drinking factor.....I have a lot more time as well.