Notices

my story

Old 10-03-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my story

My Story:

I smoked and drank for the first time when I was 15. I fell in love with substances immediately. I loved the effect they had on my brain, I loved how it made me feel closer to people. I simply loved being high. I would do anything from Adderall, LSD, mushrooms, ecstasy. I began to smoke weed everyday, sold it eventually and got suspended from high school for having weed at school. I received a DUI at the ripe age of 17. I received 4 MIP’s at the ripe age of 19.

I have lead a double life since I started drinking and getting high. There’s a side of me that was an amazing swimmer in high school and was Swim Team Captain. I was also vice president of my sorority, vice president of a club on campus. I actually held multiple positions in my sorority. I run 5k’s and am a tutor. The other side of me is the anxious, depressed alcoholic. I have blown an incredible amount of my parent’s money on booze. I am reckless.

I am still having trouble comes to terms with the idea of sobriety. It scares the hell out of me. I no longer can numb the parts of myself that I hate without alcohol. I can no longer numb my anxious, depressed mind. Maybe something about that is beautiful though. Experiencing life at the most basic level again; substance free. It is an incredibly raw and terrifying feeling. But life is meant to challenge you, and this is my challenge and my journey.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there Anco, Hugs!
Old 10-03-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, we're glad you are here and posting. This is an amazing place for support and encouragement.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by anco22 View Post
I am still having trouble comes to terms with the idea of sobriety. It scares the hell out of me. I no longer can numb the parts of myself that I hate without alcohol. I can no longer numb my anxious, depressed mind. Maybe something about that is beautiful though. Experiencing life at the most basic level again; substance free. It is an incredibly raw and terrifying feeling. But life is meant to challenge you, and this is my challenge and my journey.
Very well said anco. Something tells me you might benefit from two things. First, you might benefit from a mental health evaluation of your depression. Treatment might help quite a bit. Second I think that regular meditation might be very beneficial for you. (I find this latter suggestion interesting because I'm not even sure where my strong hunch comes from).

All the best to you.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Anco,

Addict is the word I use to describe myself.

Drug addict for life. I got clean 17 months ago. It was difficult. It was horrible.

I made it through. Now the majority of the pain is behind me.

There still is pain, a lingering, aching pain that comes and goes....

It says...get wasted...you deserve it...

I have clean friends...one drank like me and quit..16 years ago....no AA...just quit...

Another hates booze...never liked it.

These 2 guys don't know it....but they are my role models....

Get sober...find a non drinker role model..other than an AA person...

That is my 2 cents...

Alcohol and drugs are learned behaviors...they can be unlearned.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome anco

I think most of us were scared about becoming sober. I was terrified.

It was tough in transition - I won't lie, but no tougher than my drinking life was...

and...recovery worked out great for me...better than I could have imagined.

I love my life and I love who I am now.
It's the difference between living and existing.

It may seem like a huge risk but it's not that big - look around at all the happy success stories here - you can join us
Old 10-04-2016, 02:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You mention that you loved how the drugs/alcohol made you feel closer to others. Might that be a point worth pondering?
Old 10-04-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, anco.

What is also beautiful about sobriety is that you can finally be a person of integrity. I love that word: integrity. It's something I always aspired to be. But alcohol took me further and further away from being a person of integrity.

Integrity means to be whole, intact. One person, one set of values, one moral compass. No deviation, no double life. That's beautiful, and for me finally possible again.

You have tons of potential, by the sounds of it. You can be the swim star, the respectable tutor, the athlete, the club vice-president. The person others look up to. Without that awful nagging feeling of shame that you don't deserve it because you're really a feckless unreliable drunk.

A great challenge to set for yourself... if you fix yourself a good sobriety plan (and you will find inspiration for that on these boards) and stay away from drinking, you can be that person for sure.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Anco!!