Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Just a heads up, I don't need deterred continuing to go to AA, I deter myself enough

Notices

Just a heads up, I don't need deterred continuing to go to AA, I deter myself enough

Old 10-03-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

from contining to go to AA. I have stopped going many times, ect.

I just started posting on this site yesterday and one member here has made a remark that AA isn't for everyone that I may just have other issues. Please stop! I didn't come here to get deterred nor have more thoughts of others, ect. of such embedded in my head of why I shouldn't go to AA. I am fighting for MY life, for ME. I have stopped going in the past and it's not pretty, I also continued to go before anyways and it wasn't pretty. *Today* I am fine going, I can't say *today* I went and got loaded due to a AA, or a few members. Today I can say I will have a sit-down at a AA meeting. Thank you.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Currently I am thinking I'm fine now, that I don't need AA. Nor do I really want to go to AA today. However, I will be at a AA meeting today, shortly.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by lexilynn View Post
I am fighting for MY life, for ME.

thats why i have gone to a meeting (almost) everyday for 24 years

because for me this is a serious and fatal disease

Old 10-03-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi .

As this is perhaps one of the busiest forums on this site you will get people from all different backgrounds and circumstances , SR is very supportive on most forums , although you may get more AA responses on the 12 Step recovery discussion forum , wishing you well .
Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 10-03-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I view AA as my medicine. It is simply something I must do to stay healthy. There are days I feel like going there are days I don't. If I had a doctor tell me all I had to to do was invest a little time every day to prevent myself from dying a horrible death you bet I would do it. AA is just part of my life and will be forever
Old 10-03-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Always great seeing committed proactive people in recovery - good attitude
Old 10-03-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lexilynn, if someone's posts upset you, please use the Ignore button. That will prevent you from seeing the person's posts. If you don't know how to use it, let me know and I will help you.

It is true AA isn't for everyone, though it works for many, and we encourage recovery in many different ways on this board. We support everyone's recovery here.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Lexilynn, if someone's posts upset you, please use the Ignore button. That will prevent you from seeing the person's posts. If you don't know how to use it, let me know and I will help you.

It is true AA isn't for everyone, though it works for many, and we encourage recovery in many different ways on this board. We support everyone's recovery here.
Thank you, how do you do that?

The person in so many words was telling me that I don't belong there, that I have *other* issues. I can't claim that is supportive, at all.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

I don't know that it's possible to survive the life of an alcoholic withou having "other issues." If being emotionally balanced at the moment we put down the drink were a requirement for membership, there'd be a lot of empty church basements around the world.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AA is a great support group and I'm glad its working for you.

Remember this is the internet.....ya get all kinds here. Just ignore what doesn't work for you. It isn't important what others think of you....only what you think of you.

Have a great meeting. I have to miss mine today because I have to take my daughter to the dr
Old 10-03-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Someone casually mentioned the other day that I must "like" the AA meeting I attend. I had to think long and hard about whether or not I actually enjoyed going to the meeting. I have to get up an hour early to attend, then rush to work afterwards. The topics at the meeting are sometimes difficult to think about. And my service position at AA is really very far outside my comfort zone.

I am glad that you are making the effort to attend a meeting.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I don't know that it's possible to survive the life of an alcoholic withou having "other issues." If being emotionally balanced at the moment we put down the drink were a requirement for membership, there'd be a lot of empty church basements around the world.
I'm not currently, but I'm not drinking over anything now. What I mean by "ok" is the cravings have ceased. I don't feel as I'm actually going to go get a bottle today.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Best wishes, lexilynn
Old 10-03-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Best wishes, lexilynn
Thank you, I'm trying this "no matter what" thing now that my brain is clearer. The "I'll drink tomorrow" way didn't work out for *me*, I eventually gave into the horrible cravings that I was having on the following day.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am one of those people who left AA and think there are many good reasons for leaving the program. HOWEVER, feeling like you are fine now is not one of them. It sounds like part of the reason you are feeling good now is that the program helped you.

I admire you for having the insight to recognize that if the program has been good for you in the past, that it will do good for you in the future.

Good luck as you go on!
Old 10-03-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

JUST FOR TODAY, i will not drink or use under any circumstances, NO MATTER WHAT.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will attend an AA meeting, whether i feel like going or not.

JUST FOR TODAY, i will be given the gift of sobriety and i will treasure it.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Everyone has their own path to sobriety. If AA is working for you, keep going and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You understand the gravity of your situation and are fighting admirably, Lexilynn. Best of luck to ya.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by lexilynn View Post
Thank you, how do you do that?

The person in so many words was telling me that I don't belong there, that I have *other* issues. I can't claim that is supportive, at all.
Hi Lexi

This is how to employ the ignore function

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
D
Old 10-04-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Lexi

This is how to employ the ignore function

D
Dee - where the "how to " on ignoring a member..

Coss newly sober and new member wanna know

Snarly ...