Update on goofy little family situation

Old 10-01-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on goofy little family situation

Hey, friends. So I posted a thread on this site a couple of weeks ago about a funny little situation unfolding at my mother's house. Mom and AB live together in her house. 2 tvs-one upstairs. That's where sib spends most of his time. Watches tv all day. Other tv is downstairs. Mom spends her days downstairs, though she has dementia and sight issues, so doesn't watch much tv anymore. About 3 weeks ago, upstairs tv broke. So...bro moved downstairs to watch. I had always thought that one of the reasons they are able to bump along okay most of the time is because they each spent the majority of their days on different levels of the house. So I was watching the new dynamic with some trepidation. Like, how was this going to go? Would they get on each other's nerves? Would I have to pry blunt instruments out of their hands before mayhem occurred? Posted about it, and the advice I got was to let it be. It was between them. If my mom wanted something from me she would ask for it. So I did. I am always resisting the urge to "fix" things. Fast forward to present. Upstairs tv is fixed (older sib took care of it, not me) but bro is still spending time downstairs. And you know what? It's okay. I think my mom likes having him on the same level, and he, for his part, has demonstrated remarkable patience--for him--with her endless repetition of questions. She asks the same things over and over. It's her condition. I have had to rethink some things about the family. Which is good, I think. Peace.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's so hard to keep our sticky little fingers off these situations...I struggle with that with my own family. I keep wanting to sweep in and make things "better."

I can't. I hate that. ��

Good for you for letting it sort itself out!
Old 10-06-2016, 02:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. It is positive that your family will work together, help each other out.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Just when we think we've got it all figured out, they go and surprise us and in this case, it's a nice surprise.

I have been self-talking a lot lately, to "let go"...let go of trying to manage every micro detail in my life...let go of hovering over my husband (who neither drinks nor drugs) at medical appointments, his mind works fine and he can do this without me...let go of my stinking "schedules" that served me well when my world was super busy but today I can toss the schedule and go smell the roses...let go of anticipating every possible problem and then let go of planning the solutions. My addict son has been out of our lives for over a decade...and still, my codie traits need dealing with on a daily basis.

Let go and let life happen...what a concept.

I am so glad that your brother and your mother have actually found a good, caring, functional relationship. I love surprises like that.

Hugs