Notices

Feel like crying

Old 09-30-2016, 01:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel like crying

A neighbour invited me round last night for some drinks and nibbles for her engagement. I took a bottle of 'posh juice' with me in case there was just alcoholic drinks there and when I got there I said I couldn't have any alcohol because of tablets I'm taking.

Anyway they had some alcohol free punch as there were some people there who would be driving home. And it was very tasty.

I felt a bit 'light headed' about half hour in but put that down to the 'strange feelings' that go with being off alcohol after 4 days AF and also having not had a chance to have anything to eat since breakfast.

About an hour after I got there one of the other guests said they had to go as they had to work that evening. At which point my neighbour's fiance confessed to having slipped vodka in to the alcohol free punch.

Caused a huge uproar as a couple of the drivers HAD to get home or other places that night - the local cab company must have thought Christmas had come early.

I came home at that point but I must have had 4 or 5 glasses by that time. My son, who is 100% supportive, struggled to believe that I didn't know there was alcohol in it but i genuinely didn't. I just thought the punch tasted nice.

So back to day 1 for me :-(
Old 09-30-2016, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So sorry that happened, Virginia - what an idiotic and dangerous thing for that person to have done.
Hope you have no ill-effects. Forward and onward, hey?
Old 09-30-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Forward and onward, hey?
Definitely! It's knocked me sideways a bit as I was liking seeing the days add up. BUT they are going to add up again from today
Old 09-30-2016, 01:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Should add, the chap did confess before anybody had got in to their car - so I suppose that is something in his favour.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's an awful thing to do and to have happened. People could have been seriously ill from drinking it with certain medications. Not a funny prank. Feel so sorry for you 😢 x
Old 09-30-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just wrong, so wrong!!!!

This makes me sick. This has happened to me several times over the years.

I am so sorry this happened to you.

Thanks for posting - not the first time and unfortunately it will be done to someone else as well.

Don't beat yourself up over it - sucks but what from I've read your a strong person.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dont see it as failure. You didnt choose to drink and the fact that you feel so bad about it shows how commited you really are. Put it behind you and pretend it didnt happen.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

If your genuine that you didn't notice the alcohol I'm hoping you didn't get the punch after he put the vodka in - I have to be honest here... I would noticed in the first second it touched my lip if it had alcohol in it or not so not noticing after 4-5 drinks I'm not so sure of not unless you got the punch before it was spiked (btw ppl spiking the punch is pretty common in some places so from now on be a lot more aware)

Why did you drink the punch instead of your posh juice its little things like this that you have to stay vigilant about esp at gatherings & while we're on that subject I think you can now knock gatherings on the head for a bit in favor of working your recovery building sober muscles
Old 09-30-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your neighbour could find themselves in BIG trouble under UK law, if someone reports him. 10 years in prison is the maximum and a LOT more, if a robbery or rape, is involved.

I personally, would have nothing more to do with them, at the very least.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/abuse/Pag...k-spiking.aspx
Old 09-30-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
If your genuine that you didn't notice the alcohol I'm hoping you didn't get the punch after he put the vodka in - I have to be honest here... I would noticed in the first second it touched my lip if it had alcohol in it or not so not noticing after 4-5 drinks I'm not so sure of not unless you got the punch before it was spiked (btw ppl spiking the punch is pretty common in some places so from now on be a lot more aware)

Why did you drink the punch instead of your posh juice its little things like this that you have to stay vigilant about esp at gatherings & while we're on that subject I think you can now knock gatherings on the head for a bit in favor of working your recovery building sober muscles
So pleased for you that you would have recognised the alcohol in it, I didn't. Come to that neither did any of the other people drinking it who thought it was alcohol free.

I had bought more than one bottle of the juice and the punch looked nice. I came home as soon as I knew what had gone on.

Not really sure why I need to justify myself on what is a 'supportive' forum!!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure noone here is calling you a liar VW.

I'm really sorry that happened, and I can imagine how upset you must feel, but if you didn't know you didn't know.

I'd try and put it behind you.

The point about being careful about what you drink is a good one tho - I never drink from the punch bowl anymore and I try wherever possible to pour my own drinks.

I'm not paranoid, but I know that my recovery is nowhere near as important to other people as it is to me

Use this as a learning experience, move on and don't be hard on yourself, ok?

D
Old 09-30-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

I wasn't accusing you of lying I was sharing my own experience

If you read my message there was hints & tips in it, this is an excellent supportive community If you didn't know you didn't know... I wasn't questioning that, I actually hoped you got the punch before it was spiked & I hope this will be something you watch out for in the future that's all

Early recovery is hard enough without you thinking that I think your a liar I don't think your lying I just hope you see that

Old 09-30-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Im sorry this happened to you. One thing you may want to do is get to a place where you are so protective of your sobriety and the gift of recovery, that you avoid any persons, places or things that could (even in the slightest) jeopardize your sober days. This might mean not attending ANY functions where alcohol is going to be served. This may not have to be a forever thing but you are so early on, its best for now. This way you avoid a situation like this or the temptations at all.

Wishing you only the best.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Holy cow, talk about an experience worthy of a mulligan. You can't let that one cut too deep. What a jerk.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Dry your tears and keep going. Don't let this lead to an intentional binge. I probably would have used it as an excuse to keep drinking.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to punch bowls - you never know who has sneezed over them etc. I guess that's just me though
Old 09-30-2016, 03:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

My wife can taste alcohol in low concentrations, I can't.
She has never drunk alcoholic drinks (doesn't like the taste).
My taste buds may be broken.

As others have said the poisoner needs to watch out if he puts peanuts or some other allergen in food or drink he could find himself in the pokey.

Last edited by Treerat66; 09-30-2016 at 03:30 AM. Reason: biff spelling
Old 09-30-2016, 03:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Others may disagree but I do not see this as something that requires you to go back to day one. A mistake was made but it wasn't your mistake. I would have been furious at the idiot and would have made a very large scene by calling him every degrading word I could think of
Old 09-30-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zanna View Post
your neighbour could find themselves in big trouble under uk law, if someone reports him. 10 years in prison is the maximum and a lot more, if a robbery or rape, is involved.

I personally, would have nothing more to do with them, at the very least.

Drink spiking and date rape drugs - Live Well - NHS Choices
+1
Old 09-30-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So sorry! I agree with MIRecovery on the day count... Wasn't your fault or choice.