Notices

Folks Who Went Through Detox

Old 09-29-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Folks Who Went Through Detox

Can u all share your experiences? I am going through detox next week and I am a bit terrified. I know many on here maintained sobriety without detox, but I am not sure how much they drank.

I have always been a drinker. But during that time u would work out hard and be productive during the day. Some anxiety but generally able to function, and function at a high level.

Then some time last year my drinking began to turn. I found myself drinking earlier and earlier in the day. And as some of you all could probably relate anxiety increased (I have researched the hell out of this part and is almost entirely due to having all my brain's neurotransmitters screed by my drinking). Then I was/am drinking before noon just to make it through the day. What an f-ing quagmire.

So my question is, anyone have any sense how bad the withdrawal is going to be? If not, can you just share what you went through?

I really know I can beat this thing. I want it bad. But I am somewhat allergic to pain! just trying to get a sense of what to expect. Thank in advance. And will be on here soon telling y'all (I am from Texas) about how long I have been sober!😊
Old 09-29-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's really hard to say what you might experience Rosey. How much you drink isn't always a direct indicator of how bad withdrawal will be.

When you say you are going through detox next week are you doing it in a supervised/inpatient facility? If so what you experience will be a lot different than a self-detox ( which is not recommmended by the way ). Your vitals will be monitored and you may be given meds to help with the symptoms too. The list of symptoms themselves is quite long and it's also hard to say which ones you might have, if any at all. Anxiety is very common of course.

The good news though is that no matter what your symptoms might be, they will be temporary and most people can do a supervised detox in a matter of days. It's a small price to pay for the freedom you will receive!
Old 09-29-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It's really hard to say what you might experience Rosey. How much you drink isn't always a direct indicator of how bad withdrawal will be.

When you say you are going through detox next week are you doing it in a supervised/inpatient facility? If so what you experience will be a lot different than a self-detox ( which is not recommmended by the way ). Your vitals will be monitored and you may be given meds to help with the symptoms too. The list of symptoms themselves is quite long and it's also hard to say which ones you might have, if any at all. Anxiety is very common of course.

The good news though is that no matter what your symptoms might be, they will be temporary and most people can do a supervised detox in a matter of days. It's a small price to pay for the freedom you will receive!
Thanks Scott! Yeah, it will be medically supervised.

What were your withdrawal symptoms?
Old 09-29-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ERosey View Post
Thanks Scott! Yeah, it will be medically supervised.

What were your withdrawal symptoms?
I personally did it the way you aren't supposed to - multiple times - on my own. I ended up in the ER because of it too, so you are very smart to be doing this the proper way.

I had all different kinds of symptoms - racing heart/palpitations, sweating, horrendous anxiety, chills, and probably a lot of others I can't remember. But again, don't equate the fact that I had these symptoms to mean that you will have them too.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had all of those that Scott had, plus diarrhea bad. Not to worry though, since it it is medically supervised, they will keep you comfortable. Everyone is different, keep that in mind..
And good luck!
Old 09-29-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you're from Texas (like me), you'll be fine. Kidding. I didn't have any detox symptoms except for sobering up from my last drinking session. Each day my appetite increased. Now I eat like my horses. I know I was lucky as I drank heavily for 42 years. Heck, maybe I've just never completely sobered up! I actually feel so good at Day-48. I suspect that in detox, you will be fine. They have all kinds of temporary meds that address various "symptoms". Just go in with an open mind and know that you are doing a very RIGHT thing. You are going to be so OK. And you will have all of us here thinking about you and eagerly awaiting your report. You go get 'em.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rosey don't stress too much. If you can, maybe consider tapering your drinking a bit which will ease withdrawal. I know that's pretty hard. A medical detox is very smart and will help ease the symptoms.

I shake pretty badly while detoxing. Detox meds help with racing heart and anxiety. The meds themselves make me pretty out of it which isn't a bad thing. Usually with me it's an adivan taper....generally I'm off meds in 3-4 days. That doesn't mean that detox is over it just means I'm out of the danger zone for seizures, stroke etc. The anxiety usually returns and can be uncomfortable for about two weeks. I know I just have to get through this. Exercise really helps and no caffeine.

How long are you planning to stay on detox?
Old 09-29-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Relax, I found detox to be a very positive sobering experience.
Also met some good new friends there.
Can be the beginning of a nice new way of living.
Learn and put all sober tools to good use.
M-Bob
Old 09-29-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am so happy that you are taking this courageous step!
And I am also so very relieved that you have chosen a medical detox ... smart move. I tried many times to detox myself. And ended up in the hospital twice and I honestly thought I was dying. My experience in a medical detox was ok ... they made sure I was comfortable as far as WD symptoms go. And it gave me a jump start on Recovery.

Best of luck to you! I hope to see more posts of yours
Old 09-29-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've made this decision and I hope things go well and hopefully you will be well-cared for during the detox.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rosey, I've done medical detox twice, eight years apart. Both times it was a really positive experience. I mostly slept for the first day and a half. They will wake you to check your blood pressure every so often. I didn't have anxiety like I'd have when I went through withdrawal. I felt peaceful and safe that someone was looking after me.

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smart move on going to detox. I had horrible withdrawals and even seizures WITHOUT detox - when I got to detox, they took care of me and made sure that I would get through the 2-3 day period. That's what detox is there for - to ensure you don't feel pain and help you get your legs under you. Don't worry, this is the right step!
Old 09-29-2016, 09:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Rosey, I went through medical detox and had no pain!! They'll probably give you librium, that helps a lot with the anxiety. I slept a lot. Watched tv, read a little, ate, slept some more. It was only 2-3 days. Are you going into treatment after that? Or are you just detoxing?
Old 09-30-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great call doing the medical supervision style detox!!! It makes it suck way less. And you will be safe. I have done it at home (highly not recommended) and the medical route all the way from being sedated to a taper. You will be fine and way more comfortable! Great call! Can't stress that enough.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Best wishes x
Old 09-30-2016, 01:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I went to medical detox and then rehab and it was great. I was only slightly uncomfortable, shaky, I fell out of bed once, but was well cared for. It was not that bad.
For the record I was drinking 3 bottles of wine a day starting in the morning and going all day long.
I'll link to my rehab thread in a second, hang on.....
Old 09-30-2016, 01:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here you go: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ab-report.html
Old 09-30-2016, 03:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Part of my recovery toolbox is remembering the living hell I went through in my first weeks and months sober. It was hell on earth at time . I detoxed on my own. If went to detox I would have lost my job.

I was a binge drinker when I quit. I drank about 10 times a month max in the end.

Before that, I tried every way to manage my drinking that the BB lists.

Having a comfortable detox could lead you to believe that it is ok to start drinking again, because detox was easy.

Imo....While supervised medical is the right way to go...medically...be aware that each detox gets worse and worse. The brain damage goes deeper and deeper.

The compulsion to drink will lurk...for life.

Helping others...here and else where...and talking about our addiction w our addict peers....here and else where..are what I use to keep my sober armor strong and shiny.

Thanks for the post.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I did not have any symptoms that I recall. I was very sick when I went to detox...I was actually brought to the ER and put in urgent care. I took a ride in the van...the ATIVAN for a full week and I don't remember any of it. Thank God.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello ERosey.

The good news is, if you detox once, and chose sobriety you only have to do it the once

My experience was probably a lot milder than most. I went to my GP after experiencing bad withdrawals - heart racing, feeling faint, dizziness etc. My GP was very dismissive, said I had not been 'drinking enough'(!) to go through withdrawals...

I STUPIDLY!!! went cold turkey. No one should EVER go cold turkey, I was extremely lucky...

The symptoms I had when I stopped were not pretty, but having read some of the stories on here seem pretty mild...

The first day I woke about 4/5am after a terrible nights sleep (although when I was drinking it was always a very light, somewhat interrupted, sleep, followed by waking, followed with thoughts of utter panic - I was always tired).

I got up at 5am and made a 2 pint jug of orange juice and water with some rehydration salts in and tried to sleep - I could not.

I knew the alcohol was making its way out of me, I could smell it.

I spent the entire day on the sofa with two duvets, just trying to drink as much fluid as I could. I felt so weak and tired, I was freezing cold, yet sweating. I was so tired I couldn't even change the channel on the television, I literally had to drag myself to the kitchen on all fours to get the next drink of water mixed with salts at one point.

It only lasted for 1 day though, I'm not going to lie I was very 'fuzzy' for the next week, and I would say it took about a month for my mind to be clear, but it was worth it!

In Detox they will have all the proper drugs and IV's to get you back to YOU!

Good luck and all the best on your recovery journey x