Notices

It smells awful!

Old 09-27-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It smells awful!

My husband still drinks and I generally keep my mouth shut about it because my recovery is my responsibility. Sometimes it's hard after we've been through something stressful (seems like that's the status quo lately)to watch him grab a cold beer or hear the glug of wine pouring into his glass. But what has struck me more and more, at almost nine months, is how much it stinks.

The smell hits and more than a few times I've absent-mindedly checked the bottom of my shoes, emptied the trash, looked around to see if the cat has hairball-ejected, and then opened the refrigerator to see if something has died a forgotten death...but something still STINKS! Then I realize it's coming from his drink.

I can't believe I once drank anything that smells that bad...let alone craved it and drank for years until it made me exhausted and sick. For me, it just goes to show how little about it was the taste.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ariesagain, I noticed that also just being out with a friend and smelling the beer on their breath when they talk, it actually causes a reflex gag for me. Also heavier spirits are sickly sweet on someone's breath, yuck just yuck
Old 09-27-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
I can't believe I once drank anything that smells that bad...let alone craved it and drank for years until it made me exhausted and sick. For me, it just goes to show how little about it was the taste.
I can't wait until I get to that stage where it smells bad. Too scared to even smell it now. In regards to the taste, it really makes you wonder how some people can spend thousands of $$$'s on a bottle of wine, scotch, cognac etc. because of the 'taste'.

If it were about the taste I'd rather spend way less and get a 10 course meal at a fine dining restaurant.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

thanks aries
Old 09-27-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

True that! Some people can get up real close to you the more they have to drink and you can not hear a word they are saying because I am so taken back by their alcohol breath.
When I gave up smoking several years ago, my then partner smoked and kissing him was like kissing a full ashtray...I had no idea that I smelled like that...we were stinky people.!