Notices

Fat and miserable?

Old 09-22-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fat and miserable?

How many of us just feel fat and miserable? On top of the other unpleasant side effects..
Old 09-22-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober style

I'm a lot less fat and less miserable since I stopped drinking, thank God! But I was plenty fat and miserable for much of the last 5 years or so, for sure. Losing the beer weight has made a huge difference in my self-esteem, really made me feel like myself again.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's want I want to hear. Sometimes we don't even realize what's happening.
TY
Old 09-22-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I'm a lot less fat and less miserable since I stopped drinking, thank God! But I was plenty fat and miserable for much of the last 5 years or so, for sure. Losing the beer weight has made a huge difference in my self-esteem, really made me feel like myself again.
Same here
Old 09-22-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sobriety first and foremost. Everything else in it's time.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep.
I joined weight watchers, went gluten free and committed to walking 4x a week. I've dropped 20 lbs pretty easily.
Once I quit drinking a lot of the puffy, bloated face and skin jazz went away within a few months. Man, I looked HORRIBLE at the end of my drinking.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, of course, sobriety... First! But sometimes we find that because of some unpleasantness..
Old 09-22-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marissa41 View Post
How many of us just feel fat and miserable? On top of the other unpleasant side effects..
I certainly did, but I decided to do something about it. I quit drinking and fired up the treadmill and bought $100 worth of used weights. Its not easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is.

I find that when we get in a rut, its easy to remain in the rut. But if we get moving, we stay moving.

There is an old saying:
You want to get something done....give it to a busy person.

I believe it.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I dont know if Ive lost any weight but yet I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me...

I dont feel miserable today but if you had asked me this about 60 days ago, I wouldnt have been able to muster much more then just an UGHHHHH!

All is well in my world today. Thank you Lord.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so skinny folks will think there's something wrong with me if this causes weight loss.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also joined Weight Watchers when I quit drinking. I am down 42 pounds, and only six pounds away from my goal in just under nine months. It is amazing how many calories I was drinking in wine, and then eating crap after several glasses.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow!.. That's great! I like weight watchers too. I have about 25 lbs to lose but it feels like 100.. I think others things besides our weight does weigh us down.
I had alcoholic hepatitis that almost killed me. I looked liked walking death. Now I'm the opposite. I used to walk everyday and work with weights but I find it hard to even get up now. I think that might be depression.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I also joined Weight Watchers when I quit drinking. I am down 42 pounds, and only six pounds away from my goal in just under nine months. It is amazing how many calories I was drinking in wine, and then eating crap after several glasses.
That's awesome Delilah.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Marissa,
One thing drinking makes you lose is motivation. I usually felt too crappy in the morning to even think about exercising.

If you had 100 days sober, you can have 100 more....and more.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I need to lose weight and recently rejoined my diet center. I lost 16lbs but I agree that sobriety has to be the main focus, and the rest will follow. It worked for me a few years ago to focus on my diet but now it seems too stressful, and I need to focus on staying sober first and foremost. Good luck with whatever path you take
Old 09-22-2016, 11:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I kinda thought the weight would just fall off because of cutting out those large quantities of daily wine calories. I've lost a little, but if I could stop eating all this junk food would probably be a lot better off lol So I still feel fat and gross sometimes. But internally I feel a lot better!
Old 09-24-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My main motivator for quitting was my bummed liver but I admit that my #1 motivator at present is raw vanity. I look better, perform better and can spend hours in front of a mirror loving who I see. Vanity is my favorite sin and if it works for you, keep working it

~Bunnez
Old 09-24-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Im a lot less fat (lost about 30lbs in 10mnths) and less miserable (though still somewhat depressed). It takes time to change your body and health. Years of abuse requires time to heal
Old 09-24-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I did for a long time. Thankfully not so at the moment as have lost 20 lb and just have a couple more lb to go to target weight. I did it through Slimming World as I enjoy food and don't want silly little portions.

In the past I'd tried doing the same weight loss plan, but of course, used all my treat allowances plus more on alcohol, and would eat properly , sticking to plan, until I started drinking, then it'd all go out the window.

Also, when I first stopped drinking, but wasn't working a decent recovry plan, my alcoholism came out sideways and I found myself comfort and binge eating. Thankfully, I can now apply my recovery program to my eating habits as well as my drinking ones (most of the time) and things aren't so out of control.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Without alcohol we consume far less calories! Not to mention eating better and feeling physically better so we are more able to exercise
Motivation to exercise is another beast though....!