Notices

I think I just might be getting there...

Old 09-21-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I just might be getting there...

On Monday, I made 2 appts; one to get labs done and the other to see my doc.

After reading about alcohol kindling...

I can go days without drinking. And then last Saturday I bought 1.75L and today, it's almost gone - the acceleration rate this past week has shocked me.
This morning I considered cancelling the labs on Friday but I refuse to deny this problem any longer.

Thank you all for being here.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are getting there
I'm glad you are facing your fears instead of hiding and shrouding them in denial.
This is a much healthier way to go.
Keep it up!!!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you. And if your liver enzymes are elevated from the heavy drinking this week, that's to be expected. Don 't let that derail you. The liver is resilient and after some recovery can normalize.

I know, for me, I need the help of others to make this happen. Connect and make a plan. You don't need to go it alone.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just do it...there are no risks or losses with that approach, yet there is everything to gain.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Get rid of all alcohol & paraphernalia like favourite glasses mixers etc make a day 1
join the class of September & save yourself before it's too late
Old 09-21-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do I understand this correctly, that not being sober means I move onto the next months class?
Old 09-21-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi jdoc,

Not at all. You stay in whichever class (or classes) help you stay sober.

You obviously have the will to be sober, now it s about making that a decision and building a strong plan.

You can do this!

P
Old 09-21-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SW, I poured it. There are no mixers or glasses. It's Day 1.

Thank you all for responding; I'm feeling so alone.

I'm off to work. You all have a wonderful day!
Old 09-21-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You're not alone - we are with you in thought x
Old 09-21-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job buddy know were here for you
Old 09-21-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes with the tests

There's no eligibility rules for Class threads, but I'd post wherever you think you'll get the most benefit, as opposed to where you'll feel the most comfortable, because they are not always the same

you can also post in multiple classes

D
Old 09-21-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can do this Jodc, make Sobriety happen!!
Old 09-21-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Best wishes with the tests

post wherever you think you'll get the most benefit, as opposed to where you'll feel the most comfortable, because they are not always the same D
This is interesting Dee... Can you elaborate just a bit? Thanks.

Today was the first time I have ever experienced the "I WANT A DRINK RIGHT NOW!!!" and didn't.
That I actually made that choice is comforting to me; I don't know that I thought I had it in me to choose...
do you know what I mean?

Instead of a bottle, I came home with a steam cleaner and took care of the carpets; I feel good.

Thanks Everyone, for the kind words and good advice - feels good to know you are here. Day 1 down.

Goodnight to all!
Old 09-21-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jodc. Reading your last post really struck a cord for me. The fact that you discovered that you had a choice not to drink (as you describe for the first time). I think that thought is something powerful to build on. You, we, us, me all have a choice to drink or not to drink.

All of us are more powerful and stronger than alcohol if we choose to be. We just have to decide for ourselves what we really want and set or mind to making it happen and there is a ton of support amongst ourselves, in programs, addiction experts, counselors, etc., etc. We don't have to do it alone.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is interesting Dee... Can you elaborate just a bit? Thanks.
LOL I didn't really want to because I fear some will disagree with me, but what the heck

The way we set up the monthly threads way back when, if you drank again this month, you'd join the current month thread.

A lot of people do tend to stay in the thread they were in tho - and like I said there's no rules and there's no problem with that.

I understand that for some people starting again in a new thread could seem a little like a punishment. It's not of course but I understand the thinking

My personal view tho?

I really believe tho that starting again with a new group could often be the invigoration some people need to make a new plan and plot a new course.

I do think sometimes people choose the old comfortable thread simply because it is comfortable and safe, and I'm not always sure that's what people need after a relapse.

D
Old 09-21-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have joined several classes since joining SR. I am currently a member of the January class, and will have nine months sober on October 1st. It has been really helpful to have people at the same point in recovery as me.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Jo, am sorry you have been struggling, achieving sobriety is a bumpy road, learning to cope with life on life's terms without our old "friend" beside us is very difficult but from what I can gather once achieved is amazing.
We would love for you to stay with us in the August class but fully understand if you feel you would do better joining the September class. Whatever you decide keep popping in to see us. We miss you. Elle X
Old 09-22-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Hi Jodc. Reading your last post really struck a cord for me. The fact that you discovered that you had a choice not to drink (as you describe for the first time). I think that thought is something powerful to build on. You, we, us, me all have a choice to drink or not to drink.

All of us are more powerful and stronger than alcohol if we choose to be. We just have to decide for ourselves what we really want and set or mind to making it happen and there is a ton of support amongst ourselves, in programs, addiction experts, counselors, etc., etc. We don't have to do it alone.
Quincy, you are right, it is an empowering place for me; I really just didn't consider that I had a choice. How can I see and hear so many times over the years: "You have a choice" and not know that those words apply to me? Writing this now, I say to myself: "You didn't WANT to." And then: "Why didn't I want to?" How much pain, fear, guilt, etc. does it take? What keeps us in denial? Wow.

This topic is encouraging; it has transformed my thinking. Thank you Quincy for responding; I really do need some interaction with all of you here about what's happening to me.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I really believe tho that starting again with a new group could often be the invigoration some people need to make a new plan and plot a new course.

I do think sometimes people choose the old comfortable thread simply because it is comfortable and safe, and I'm not always sure that's what people need after a relapse.D

I haven't interacted with the August class much and haven't looked into Septembers class but a couple of times so I don't really know what to do. Where do I belong??? WAH! WAH! WAH! Maybe just keep doing what I'm doing, I suppose and it will work itself out.
Thank you Dee!

Thank you, Elle for your kind words! I am more familiar with the August class; i'm definitely not going to stop visiting those pages.
You are an inspiration to so many; thank you for being here!
Old 09-22-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I have joined several classes since joining SR. I am currently a member of the January class, and will have nine months sober on October 1st. It has been really helpful to have people at the same point in recovery as me.
Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post

Thanks Delilah, this is helpful. The benefit of interacting every day with others in the "same boat", I'm sure is invaluable.

So, Just jump in there and do what you gotta do, right??

Congratulations on 9 months