Notices

I prefer "injury" rather than "disease"

Old 09-19-2016, 12:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I prefer "injury" rather than "disease"

A self-inflicted injury.

To me, that makes more sense than calling my addiction a disease.

I can't sleep, I'm tired of sleeping!
I've been reading about all the different recovery methods out there, I didn't realize there were so many options!

Coming up on day 2. Every time I stumble, I get up, dust myself off, and figure out what I need to do differently to prevent another stumble.
It's kinda like, if there is a backpack...or a pair of shoes...or whatever it may be and it's laying on the floor and you trip over it, wouldn't it make sense to move (or remove) it? Why would you leave it there to repeatedly risk your safety?

Anyways....I'm done with my silly, random thoughts lol.

Back to my pillow....
Old 09-19-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 2. Stay strong. Don't stumble
Old 09-19-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah disease. I don't really look at it that way either. Although it does manifest itself in a disease like fashion. I prefer 'illness'. Something like a mental illness. Who knows. The important part is that the sufferer accept this illness, surrender to the fact that there is no known 'cure' and that daily 'treatment' is the only option. A strong recovery 'plan/program' to keep the symptoms of the illness at bay. Hopefully leading to the removal of the obsession to keep feeding the illness hence lessening the symptoms.

Tomato/TomAHto. Whatever. As long as the end goal is recovery.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whatever you call it, as long as you know it's life-threatening, then you'll know the severity of what we're dealing with.

Hang in there.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Grats on day 2 try to not worry if it's a disease or not just stay focused on your sobriety brother
Old 09-19-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

call it an affliction...
Old 09-19-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is one I haven't heard before. Not to parse words- but parsing words- I don't think injury is the right one. I do, however, think that calling it whatever you choose is fine as long as you accept that it is a permanent condition.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm up! So far, I feel good. Going to try not to let myself sleep too much, hurts my back anyways.
Going after a specific job I've been trying to get for a while at an assisted living facility, please wish me luck!

Just wanted to put this out there...

I really could use your encouragement here at SR, it adds to my strength, so if you find the time throughout your day...please help me.
Thank you ❤
Old 09-19-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hemi,
what you call it doesn't change what it is.
but it might change what you decide to do about it.

It's kinda like, if there is a backpack...or a pair of shoes...or whatever it may be and it's laying on the floor and you trip over it, wouldn't it make sense to move (or remove) it? Why would you leave it there to repeatedly risk your safety?

sure. makes sense to remove it.

makes more sense to figure out how not to leave stuff to trip over in the first place, though. which is why you'll often hear people recommend making/following a plan.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
Hemi,
what you call it doesn't change what it is.
but it might change what you decide to do about it.

sure. makes sense to remove it.

makes more sense to figure out how not to leave stuff to trip over in the first place, though. which is why you'll often hear people recommend making/following a plan.
Thank you for your reply

I am in no way trying to change what it is. It doesn't matter if I call it a hemeroid (sp?) Because it's such a pain in the ass!

It was just a thought I had, that's all.

I am working on my program, it's just not AA/NA and that's fine
Old 09-19-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Big Brother currently calls it Alcohol Use Disorder/AUD for short. I know for me it was an obsession; what time today? What will I drink? How much should I get? blah, blah, blah........

Good news is that all seems like another lifetime ago. It's been over two years and I can't imagine my life with alcohol every again. Just don't wanna.........

Nothing special here - just drunks who made a decision and took whatever action they needed for themselves.

You can too!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 2. And good luck, I hope you get the job
Old 09-19-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red300Hemi View Post
I really could use your encouragement here at SR, it adds to my strength, so if you find the time throughout your day...please help me.
Red, what does all this delving into the nature of addiction and definitions have to do with solving the problem, namely all the "stumbling" (drinking/using) that you refer to?

Addictions are often thought to be complicated problems that are the consequence of even deeper problems, and that recovery from addiction is like solving a jigsaw puzzle or an existential riddle. This view can send you on a scavenger hunt where you don't know what you are searching for, while you keep on drinking or using.

That there is a very simply and elegant solution to this vexing problem, however, and every addicted person already suspects precisely what that solution is, or they wouldn't be addicted. They've been procrastinating the painful decision of whether or not to keep the option of drinking/using on the table by any means necessary.

Do you want to go on scavenger hunts and solve jigsaw puzzles, or do you want to solve the problem?

You don't need to answer me, but at least consider the question in your own mind. I do believe in your ability to solve the problem, even if you do not.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Red, what does all this delving into the nature of addiction and definitions have to do with solving the problem, namely all the "stumbling" (drinking/using) that you refer to?

Addictions are often thought to be complicated problems that are the consequence of even deeper problems, and that recovery from addiction is like solving a jigsaw puzzle or an existential riddle. This view can send you on a scavenger hunt where you don't know what you are searching for, while you keep on drinking or using.

That there is a very simply and elegant solution to this vexing problem, however, and every addicted person already suspects precisely what that solution is, or they wouldn't be addicted. They've been procrastinating the painful decision of whether or not to keep the option of drinking/using on the table by any means necessary.

Do you want to go on scavenger hunts and solve jigsaw puzzles, or do you want to solve the problem?

You don't need to answer me, but at least consider the question in your own mind. I do believe in your ability to solve the problem, even if you do not.
I'm not sure I quite understand your question, what I think you're asking is why I seem to be making it complicated, when it's very simple: don't pick up. We'll, I'm not looking for an intricate way or anything, I was just posting my thoughts. I have not used because I've decided not to use. Plain and simple.

If I misunderstood you, i apologize.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I say call it whatever you like. I call it my mental illness, but one of my sober friends hates that description. What matters is the solution, not so much what word we choose to label the problem.

Congrats on two full days!
Old 09-19-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Youl have support with us RH
Old 09-19-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

I stopped focusing on my thinking and fixation on labeling and took action.

That was May 23, 2011; it worked that day and every day since, I take action every day that keeps me sober.

Congrats on day 2, keep up the good work, we're all worth it.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you, Soberwolf, that's what I need to hear! I have a job interview tomorrow and I couldn't be happier!
Old 09-19-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck with the interview RedHemi

D
Old 09-20-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I still haven't picked up! I feel groggy but nothing I can't deal with. Minimal cravings despite lots of using dreams. I might hit the beach after my job interview.