Notices

Hi from a Newbie

Old 09-17-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi from a Newbie

Hi,

I came across this forum after doing a search on life after being sober and think it kinda called to me. Long story short, after reading what the poster talked about, I could relate to various things. My first question is if it's possible to drink only once a week, or if I should stop altogether and be completely sober?

My reasons for wanting to become sober are: 1) My brain feels fuzzy at times, 2) I'm struggling to lose weight even though I exercise regularly (but on that note I think that too is that I need to be more strict with what I eat), 3) I want to save money, 4) I want my anxiety and irritability to decrease, and 5) I want to have more energy and not be as tired. Also, I really dislike having to go through "hangover day" after a night of partying.

At this point, I want to make progress towards a life of less drinking, more weight loss, more money saved, and more ambition. I confess that I'm admitting to myself that it's time to change and this won't be easy or foolproof, but I came on here to ask for advice on leading a sober life.

Thanks! :-)
Old 09-17-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. how would you describe your drinking habits? Some people can drink once a week and be entirely fine. Some people however, just can't.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I think when I drink at home I have a couple glasses of wine, but when I go out to bars it's more of I want to keep drinking and partying until I'm drunk. I often go to dive bars with cheap drinks, which helps since I spend less compared to let's say a downtown bar, but makes it easier to want to keep partying more since drinks are cheap. But, it's more of once I start it's easy to keep going.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I personally cannot drink as Im an recovering alcoholic not only that but I also have a medical condition where drinking is so not adviced! But in answer to your question a sober life style has changed my life, all I do every day is tell myself that I wont drink for today, no matter what life throws at me all I have to do is not drink today. Ive learned coping stratergies to ease stress and anxiety, I meditate too. My mental and physical health has drastically improved to. A sober life is very fulfilling
Old 09-17-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome DENATX512

You don;t say much about what your drinking is like, so all I can offer is my experience.

Possible to drink only once a week?

It wasn't possible for me to do that. I could never have just one, and having started drinking, I could never limit it to just one night.

I don't think it's possible to learn how to be a 'normal' drinker - you either are or you're not.

I always drank to get wasted, and any amount of alcohol would always override my good intentions.

My vote would be go all in sober. I love the life I have now

D
Old 09-17-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think it's possible to learn how to be a 'normal' drinker - you either are or you're not.
I think Dee's quote above is one of the wisest observations concerning drinking that I have ever heard. I'm going to print that out and put it in my wallet.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I'd suggest getting totally sober for good. Living sober is the best way for me to live. No drama or feeling horrible or waking up hating myself. I like sobriety so much, I'll never drink again.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, those are helpful replies!

I think as a drinker I would drink to get wasted, and in a social setting I had trouble sticking to just one beer, since I felt I wouldn't be having fun. I understand there are some people who party sober and have fun, so maybe one day I could join them in the sense that I could party sober. I tried to quit in the past, but usually caved in and started drinking again.

However, now I'm pushing myself to do '100 Days Sober' and see how life is different after about three months. Long story short, if I stay home I can resist getting drunk, but going out to bars is an easy way to be tempted to party.

I also think after being sober for a while, my brain will be sharper and I'll feel healthier. Also, I enjoy reading, so I figure reading sober with no hangovers or lingering effects from the alcohol will be much better sans alcohol. :-)
Old 09-17-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,
I can only speak for my experience but drinking once a week is not possible for me. I will say getting sober has improved every aspect of my life. Alcohol in my life is not an option. Good luck
Old 09-17-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good that you decided to post and that you plan to stop drinking. I know you will feel much better physically, mentally and spiritually when you remove alcohol from your life.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome. I tried fo20 years to drink less but never found a way. Things slowly but surely got worse as my drinking continued. One day I realized how bad things were and I gave up trying to drink less and decided to not drink at all. Unfortunately I have never met an alcoholic that was capable of drinking less.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the additional replies! I guess it kinda is like for a person who is quitting smoking saying "Well, I'll just cut back and have one a day/week" then it starts small and starts adding up. To be honest, I know it's gonna be tough for me to beat the addiction, and I know for sure I can start with a goal of not going to the bars for 100 days. I think with that, a lot of the temptation will be removed. Also, instead of going out on a Friday night to a bar, maybe I can go to a coffee shop and get a coffee instead. I'm kinda scared of failing during that time, but I figure trying and failing is better than not trying at all. But, I'll think positive and strive for the best!
Old 09-18-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Dena nice to meet you
Old 09-18-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum DENATX512!!
Old 09-18-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks! :-)