Notices

Hello, New Member Joining the fight to recovery

Old 09-15-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, New Member Joining the fight to recovery

Just and introduction here.

I've been drinking daily for 23 years, working in the bar industry nearly all of that time. While that does provide ample opportunities to drink at first I was just a moderate drinker able to have one or two and not worry about it. The first time I started drinking more was about 18 years ago when I quit smoking. Somehow my tolerance doubled instantly, it actually made it easier to not drink in bars because I knew I'd puke if I did. Giving up the smokes was hard but I've not smoked since.

1-2 drinks turned into 3-6 drinks for a few years but in 2002 I got a DUI. That woke me up a little and I quit doing things like drinking on the job (in that state at the time it was acceptable at the job and not against state law to consume alcohol in the bar. As long as our performance didn't suffer it was OK. I was a top seller, with a strong regular customer following. My drinking on the job didn't bring me down. The DUI however woke me up. I was lucky when I got it as I was low that night, prior to that I'd drive sloshed more often than I'd like to admit.

I was back down to 1-2 a day after that, with occasionally more.

I have back problems and in 2006 started taking mild opiates per Dr recommendation. In 2008 I hurt myself more in Physical Therapy that lead into a downward spiral of stronger and stronger meds. I med regime was shocking when I look back at how much I was actually taking. Elevated to the very strong stuff, they actually seemed to make me hurt more but that's another story for some other place. The point here is in early 2014 I decided to kick the meds.

That withdrawal was awful, and horrible, and seemingly endless. 2 1/2 years laters it's insomnia still plagues me hard. The head fog was insane. I'm lucky this was not a recreational drug for me so I didn't have that craving. However when I was on the meds I couldn't drink more than 2 drinks without passing out asleep. I was pretty much asleep the whole time I was taking those things with or without a beer. Once quitting my old friend alcohol was there again to self medicate through the recovery. And wow, I could suddenly drink a lot and I did. 1-2 turned to 6-8 or more drinks (I drink the double alcohol beers so that's more like 12-16, or maybe 1-2 bottles of wine a night.

This is where my current problem began.

Jan 2015 a blood test showed high liver enzymes but I didn't follow up as my insurance had just ended.

I also opened a bar with my wife that same month, now I'm surrounded by alcohol. The blood test was weighing on me in the back of the mind and this spring I started feeling pain on my right side at the bottom of my rib cage, black tarry stools and the such and it finally tipped me to the point where I was ready to give it a kick. That combined with a few nights of falling over (nearly broke my elbow once) embarrassing my wife did the trick..

At the start of the summer I put down the drink and made it 8 weeks. I fell off for a month and made it two weeks before falling off for a couple weeks.

Currently over the last four weeks I've been drinking one or two nights a week, trying to taper off a little but I know that's not going to work. I start slipping soon and once I get that first drink I just cannot stop.

I'm on day 3 now and I hope to make it this time. Going on and off only seems to add to the WD depression that's got me down right now.

At least from kicking the opiates I know all about PAWS and the waves of symptoms coming and going. This one is a little harder because it's a social thing. I'll be talking more about my progress in the other forums. The cravings frustrate the heck out of me and spending 60 hours a week in a bar doesn't help one bit, at least I have a culinary background also and with our exelect food I'm able to hide out in the back of the house as I make it through this.

Thanks for reading! Just typing this out has lifted some of the depression that's been hitting me today.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Into the Void

You can do it, Tekink! I know it sounds corny, but after a year or two you'll look back and wonder why you didn't quit sooner.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Tekink nice to meet you
Old 09-15-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. This is great place for support and encouragement.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome tekink! I'm so glad you joined us. 3 days sober is wonderful.

There are many similarities in our stories. I drank 30 yrs. In the end, it was all day. I also got a DUI the same year you did. I knew my life was coming to an end if I didn't stop. When I joined SR it was such a relief to meet so many people who understood and didn't judge. You can stay free.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tekink, Welcome.
And Thank you for posting!

Blessings to you.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story.
Quitting while working in a bar sounds pretty tough but you've done it some so you are surely up for the challenge. Welcome to SR!
Old 09-15-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Working in a bar and staying sober seem exclusive to each other unless your resolve is firm and yours seems to be getting there. I taught myself about the trajectory I was on in terms of liver disease, too scary to let happen, glad you are seeing the light!
Old 09-15-2016, 09:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard tekink - you'll find a lot of good ideas and support here
Old 09-15-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My dad took over a pub / bar, when I was 19, for years it put me right off alcohol. The sticky floor that your shoes would stick to (behind the bar counter), the arguments that broke out, the stench on people breath at 11am etc etc. Concentrate on those things x
Old 09-16-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Tekink!!
Old 09-16-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And how is everybody tonight? I need to relearn Friday nights, used to have a friend to hang with and wine to take the edge off. Definitely lonely, Too tired to go out, need recharge
Old 09-16-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Tekink , glad you found us.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks\ for the warm welcome everyone! Day 5 today and just keeping my head down.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 5 today and just keeping my head down.
Keep plowin' it gets easier every day!
Old 09-17-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You should start to feel better real soon, tekink. Then you can focus on healing and being free.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congrats on getting through day five. You will find lots of support on this site!
Old 09-17-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Working on day 9 now. I have a Big Plan, I'm never going to drink again, ever. I'll make it through all this frustration of withdrawal.

Today I'm depressed as hell but I know it's just my brain freaking out. The hard parts come when my wife doesn't understand exactly how foggy and depressed /emotionally out of control I am. The last time I relapsed it happened after two weeks because we fought over something ridiculous.

The driving factor for me to obtain sobriety is my health. I know my liver is suffering now and every relapse has made my stomach worse. After that two week dive I started telling myself it was OK to drink one day a week. After three weeks I binged for three days and here I am now.

My wife has an abscess tooth right now so she is also miserable. I feel like a jerk in that her pain overshadows my suffering and she has no patents for me at this time. Due to her pain I can't say I blame her but there's a trend for her to end up more sick than me anytime I actually need support.

I don't have the ability to walk on egg shells today. It's also our wine club day here at the bar, we do a free tasting and it's a big social event. I'll hide in the office all day at least there's computer work to be done.

It's an exercise in frustration for sure. I just hope the brain fog doesn't last too long. I'm getting decent sleep, when I was wasted every night I'd fall asleep easy but sleep past 3 AM was always restless and tossing.

This time the symptoms of WD were worse then they have been in the past. I have a feeling they'll continue to get worse if I relapse and that helps me grit my teeth. I hadn't had depression like this before and the smallest things set me off like a firecracker.