Notices

My relapse story

Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My relapse story

I am an alcoholic binge drinker. After being sober for over a year I got complacent. In that complacency I convinced myself that I don't have a drinking problem. Sobriety was no longer a priority. In fact I was never sober I was just dry. I didn't drink every day or even once a week, but when I did drink I drank to oblivion. I've relapsed multiple times since that dry spell and each one more severe. After each bout I still told myself I didn't have a problem. I had no qualms proclaiming that i was an alcoholic and stating that i cannot drink in moderation. Thats two lies in one. What i told people was a lie because in my mind i didnt have a problem. I was just saying what I thought they wanted to hear. I was lying to myself because i did have a problem with alcohol. The alcoholic mind is a helluva drug.*

During that 1 year dry spell I rebuilt my life with help from good people and Church. It was bigger and better in every way. It still is. I haven't hit rock bottom this time around yet, but we all know the rate of speed an alcoholic falls increases exponentially. At my job I was promoted twice and made managment all just under a year. I was so busy at work that I no longer worked on my sobriety. That's when I started telling myself I no longer had a problem with alcohol because a guy who can accomplish this much in such a short amount of time didn't have problems with drinking.*

All that I learned about alcohol and sobriety went out the window. The first bouts of drinking weren't severe and I gave my fiancé all the best excuses on why I relapsed just like a good alcoholic does. I would stay sober for a little while then relapse. I made a career change and went from working 15-20 hour days to having all the time in the world, but I never got back to working on my sobriety. I didn't have a problem anymore.*

Fast forward to my most recent relapse and I'm sitting here going through hellish withdrawals while my fiancé is in Mexico with her mom. I was supposed to be with my fiancé in Mexico, but I was too wasted to get up.*
Old 09-15-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! You came to an amazing place of unconditional support. The good news is you never have to go through this again. <3
Old 09-15-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. I've experience a similar situation, 9 months. Not sober, but dry. The initial relapse was 'okay' in drinking terms, no blackout, no fights, no broken hearts. The second time I drank after the dry spell - blacked out from 20 beers and a bottle of rum, lost my wallet, told a good friend to bugger off (in harsher terms) with his 'take it easy' bull etc. Conclusion - dry, not sober.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

cool story thanks

aa has helped me

God bless

Old 09-15-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Spend some time readin and posting you will find lots of support here!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you are planning to stop drinking again. You will find lots of support here.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Julia8 View Post
Welcome! You came to an amazing place of unconditional support. The good news is you never have to go through this again. <3
Thank you, the info and stories on here are really helping.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I hope that you are planning to stop drinking again. You will find lots of support here.
Yes, most definitely will not be drinking and will be working on my sobriety. I know now that I can never touch alcohol no matter what my brain tries to tell me.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really nice to meet you it is possible x
Old 09-15-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can relate to you. I was sober for 7 months and things were going great the i convinced myself that i did not have a drinking problem. Know im suffering from withdrawal, guilt and anxiety.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SR is great.
Lots of experience, support and info here.
I hope you stick around and get sober.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

As you've learned, alcoholism is progressive. Alcohol is also cunning, baffling and powerful. And patient.

I guy I know with years of sobriety, one of the people in the AA group that others look up to. He recently relapsed after years of sobriety, at the age of 68.

If you are an alcoholic, you need to be careful, it's a lifelong condition. I once had several years of sobriety. Then I got complacent, thinking I could drink like a normal person. I spent a year trying to get, and stay, sober again.

Stick around this website, it can really help.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's kind of ironic. I am new to sobriety (34 days) and I have been doing a lot of reading and researching, being the engineering sort I am. I have also been attending AA (39 meetings in 29 days). Nowhere have I found any information that indicates that an alcoholic can regain control and become a normal drinker. I haven't found that information yet. As of yet, I can't picture myself ignoring all the studies and information and think that I can drink normally. And my current sobriety just is worth a lot more than risking trying to prove that I can. Just my two cents...YMMV
Old 09-15-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome l0vedim0

you rebuilt once - you can do it again - and make it last this time

D
Old 09-15-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cwood3 View Post
It's kind of ironic. I am new to sobriety (34 days) and I have been doing a lot of reading and researching, being the engineering sort I am. I have also been attending AA (39 meetings in 29 days). Nowhere have I found any information that indicates that an alcoholic can regain control and become a normal drinker. I haven't found that information yet. As of yet, I can't picture myself ignoring all the studies and information and think that I can drink normally. And my current sobriety just is worth a lot more than risking trying to prove that I can. Just my two cents...YMMV
It's sick and twisted what ones own mind can do to itself. An alcoholic can't become a normal drinker and I knew that. I heard similar stories in AA when I was sober and I could not comprehend how a person could do that, but here I am today.

Thanks for the support everybody it's much appreciated.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!!