Notices

30 days tomorrow... First near-relapse

Old 09-15-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 days tomorrow... First near-relapse

I haven't posted in a while... Life has been sort of uneventful, which isn't a bad thing. I'm officially 30 days sober tomorrow.

So I have a story to share. It's more of a rant, actually. There's nothing I can do about this situation, and it really burns me up... As a result, I thought (seriously) about drinking for the first time this afternoon, and that kind of scares me.

Today there was a goat wandering around our neighborhood. We live in the suburbs and nowhere near any sort of farm or zoo, so this was odd. He had a bell hanging around his neck and was just walking around aimlessly.

A whole bunch of neighbors were out on the street talking about what to do. One had just called the police and announced that she had information: The goat had escaped from some cult that was going to slaughter it in a ritual sacrifice. The cops told this neighbor to try to contain the goat in one of our yards, and animal control would come pick it up.

So my husband joined a few guys who were trying to coax the goat off the street. They were just sort of following him around, and if they got close, the goat would run off a bit. I saw my husband talking to an elderly couple that live a few houses down and pointing towards the goat. I didn't think anything of it.

I was outside sweeping the front walk and waiting for my husband to come back. A cop car pulled up at the elderly couple's house while he was gone. The officer was still there when my husband came home about twenty minutes later.

My husband told me the goat went into the woods behind the neighborhood and that's as far as he would follow him. Another neighbor across the street was sitting on her porch waiting for more info about the goat, so we talked to her for a few minutes. Then the police officer came to our house.

We thought it was about the goat, and it sort of was. The elderly couple filed a police report against my husband because they believed he was part of the cult that wanted to sacrifice the goat. They told the cops he was trying to catch the goat to finish this ritual.

My husband is foreign. They reported him because he has an accent. We've lived in this neighborhood over two years.

I'm really, really pissed.

End of rant.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

Make sure you post here tomorrow for your 30 day birthday to remind the newer people that its possible to say sober that long

its about service and getting out of ourselves by helping others

God bless

Old 09-15-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope you don't mind that this story made me giggle, kgr - the image of the neighbourhood men chasing down an escaped cult sacrifice! Just an average weekday afternoon, eh?

You're obviously 100% justified in your anger against your ignorant racist neighbours. Horrible to realise that some parts of your community make assumptions about your husband. But you were also 100% brilliant not to let that anger lead you to drink - that would've been a win for them, in a way.

But we're all waiting to hear... What's happened to the goat?!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yea, but if you're in Arkansas and you see men chasing a goat..uh..oops...well I....oh nevermind.

Stay sober!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Early congratulations - 30 days is remarkable, good for you !

Sorry about your emotions getting stirred up - sounds like something the police probably file in a bottom drawer somewhere.

When my dad aged some bizarre behaviors came out at times as with other elderly people. Certainly nothing to drink over!

Keep coming back
Old 09-15-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about what happened.

Congratulations on your recovery.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Big congrats on 30 days KGR stick with it brother
Old 09-15-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope tomorrow you can look back on this and see the humor in it. Right now- it stinks and I'm sure there's hurt feelings for both of you.

I'd feel like giving them a piece of my mind, that was pretty rude of them to assume that.
BUT- good on you for staying sober.
That is quite a story!!
congrats on 30 days!
Old 09-15-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

kgr -- congratulations on 30 days!

Re the goat, if it were me, my emotions would still be in a whirl. Stay calm and focused. It will be alright.

Do you know the phrase 'keep my side of the street clean"? You & your husband did nothing mean or offensive or destructive. Keep it that way. Leave those others alone and take good care of yourself by staying sober. Unless they get up in your face, you don't have to deal with them directly.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
I hope tomorrow you can look back on this and see the humor in it.
It's funny now lol I was letting my emotions get the best of me. BUT I DIDN'T DRINK!! If I had, I would have been using this situation as an excuse. No excuses.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that happened.
I'm glad you can see the funny side

The world is made up of all types of people. Sometimes people make me despair...and sometimes they amaze me (in the good way)

I hope tomorrow, and the weekend, is better for you kgr.

Congrats on 30 days

D
Old 09-15-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congrats on 30 days, hang in there and enjoy your accomplishment
Old 09-15-2016, 10:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Its the curse of the milestone (as I call it). With each milestone approaching, back come the cravings. Hang in there x
Old 09-16-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, that would certainly get my goat!

Sorry ... just had to.

Congratulations on 30 days and well done on not succumbing to drink just because of your highly ignorant neighbours.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Wow.. Crazy story.
Way to go on 30 days sober ..
Old 09-16-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

People show you who they are. Believe them.

Your anger is justifiable.

Drinking will not change your neighbor's, or that people are racist.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think a year from now you'll be able to appreciate the humor in that story, but for now I'd be pissed too. Congrats on staying sober. Great job.

ps. It is pretty dang funny though!