Notices

My Day One

Old 09-13-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Day One

Hello - This is my day 1 of sobriety.
Last night I drank 2 bottles of pinot within 5 hours.
Never thought I'd ever reach that point.
I'm afraid and am ready to stop.

I've been self-medicating my anxiety with wine for a few years, with gradually increasing tolerance. I have been able to go a few days without wine, but it's getting increasingly difficult for me these days. I'm anxious and depressed. I've gained a ton of weight and am embarrassed. I no longer feel real joy.

I came across the SoberRecovery forums this morning and could see the support given by fellow members. I'm so happy I'm here!
Old 09-13-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome! I assure you, we alllll understand and have had the same feelings. I'm finding that continual alcohol use makes all the negative emotions much worse. You can do this!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. You've found an amazing place place for support and encouragement if you're ready to stop.

We hope you're ready and will support you in every way we can.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

9/13/2016 is an awesome sobriety date!

my experience is that keeping a sobriety date requires action

AA has helped me immensely

Old 09-13-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. I'm so glad you found us. You'll find a lot of support here, so post away.
Best to you.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking. It's very difficult to accept that we've arrived at a point where we no longer have any control. But, you can do this. Try to focus on getting through the day, and don't be overwhelmed by 'forever'.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats & welcome to the best decision you ever made.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hi and Welcome,

Glad you decided to quit.

I drank hard for the last 15 or so years. Before that, off and on for about 25 years.

I have damaged my body and brain to the extent I am not full recovered after 16 months clean.

But, I am so much better than before.

Stay hydrated, enjoy your sleep. Remember 1 hour of sober sleep is better than 12 hours of drunken. Be kind to yourself. Eat when you crave. Give yourself special items, e.g. a milk shake, a nice chicken sandwich...when you crave.

Enjoy taking a drive to the grocery store at night when you would normally be drunk.

Hit the gym at 8 am when you would normally be hung over.

Get through the first few days and then it is a mental process. Embrace sobriety.

Post and read often. Helping others feeds the dopamine receptors in your brain.

Alcohol enhances negative thoughts. We have to change it up.

Thanks for the post.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, theproject - we're happy you found us.

I felt just about the same when I found SR. I kept drinking because I didn't know how to NOT drink. It sounds ridiculous, but I was in a trap of dependency. Being here and talking things over I found the courage to let go of it and change my life. It's wonderful to be free of the burden of it. You can do it.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome theproject! I'm so thankful for this place, there are so many supportive members.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR!! I was drinking at least a bottle of wine a night as well, and after alternating between periods of sobriety and failed attempts at moderation I now have 8 and a half months sober.

The first few days/weeks are tough, but they get easier as time passes. Spend some time reading and posting on here. Join the September thread, you will be surrounded by others who quit drinking this month. Also, check in each day on the 24 hour Recovery thread, it is great for accountability, and you will connect with many incredible SR members.

Looking forward to seeing you on here!

❤️ Delilah
Old 09-13-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome TheProject. I'm glad you found us. I'm new here also. Joined a month ago and am grateful to have found it.

I spent my first days and weeks reading around a lot and it really helped with the initial withdraw time and building a foundation of knowledge and convictions to stay sober and put a plan together.

Stick around and read and post. It's a great place and there's support 24 hours a day.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello nice to meet you the project
Old 09-14-2016, 12:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to have you with us TheProject
D
Old 09-14-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome here. I'm on Day 7 and the only advise I can give for the first week is keep reading on here, there's lots of great advice from inspiring people... Get plenty of fresh air, exercise, eat whatever you crave for, have company with friends and family if you can. Get out of the house, away from the place where you normally do that thing that makes you unhappy.

Good luck and keep going.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Hi and Welcome,

Glad you decided to quit.

I drank hard for the last 15 or so years. Before that, off and on for about 25 years.

I have damaged my body and brain to the extent I am not full recovered after 16 months clean.

But, I am so much better than before.

Stay hydrated, enjoy your sleep. Remember 1 hour of sober sleep is better than 12 hours of drunken. Be kind to yourself. Eat when you crave. Give yourself special items, e.g. a milk shake, a nice chicken sandwich...when you crave.

Enjoy taking a drive to the grocery store at night when you would normally be drunk.

Hit the gym at 8 am when you would normally be hung over.

Get through the first few days and then it is a mental process. Embrace sobriety.

Post and read often. Helping others feeds the dopamine receptors in your brain.

Alcohol enhances negative thoughts. We have to change it up.

Thanks for the post.
Wonderful advice, D122Y..thanks so much! My memory and daily functioning has suffered from all this drinking, but I don't think it's too late to try to regain some of it. I got a pretty good night's sleep last night being sober and I feel proud of myself this morning. The true test will come around 3 or 4 pm when I start getting that "feeling". I'm committed though...I will muscle through it!

Thanks
Old 09-14-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hello and welcome to SR!! I was drinking at least a bottle of wine a night as well, and after alternating between periods of sobriety and failed attempts at moderation I now have 8 and a half months sober.

The first few days/weeks are tough, but they get easier as time passes. Spend some time reading and posting on here. Join the September thread, you will be surrounded by others who quit drinking this month. Also, check in each day on the 24 hour Recovery thread, it is great for accountability, and you will connect with many incredible SR members.

Looking forward to seeing you on here!

❤️ Delilah
Thank you Delilah1! I'm looking forward to being a part of this community. I know it will be a huge help for me.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello theproject! Nice to meet you! I'm back on Day 1 again. I completely relate to you saying you drank wine to cope with your anxiety!

There some great advice that has been given on this thread-just want to thank the posters!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We can do this sadsadgirl!!!
Old 09-14-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Theproject!!