Notices

How to leave your alcoholic boyfriend

Old 09-11-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to leave your alcoholic boyfriend

I have been with my boyfriend for almost 7 years now.He is a severe alcoholic.The verbal & emotional abuse is out of control.I read some of the other posts and it sounds all too familiar ...I am at the point that I no and have to leave this unhealthy relationship.I would leave in a heartbeat,but can't because it is my home.I have no income and have applied for disability.I own a duplex and have someone that is going to rent the other side Nov.1rst.Im just watching every word I say around him til then,but it's tough.He is a complete Jeckly & Hyde.The yelling and belittling is daily.Sometimes I just stay in my room.He now sleeps on my couch.My other problem is that he won't leave.He keeps saying he will never leave.....I just don't no what to do,I just simply cry cry and cry.If anyone can please give me some words of advise it would sure help.Thanks Kindly
Old 09-11-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

Best thing you can do is to hire an attorney who specializes in such cases.

From what I've learned in my work, you have other alternatives, though they all are best executed with the help of an attorney.

If he's not a legal tenant, i.e., there's no proof that he's been paying rent, you can call the police and have him removed for trespassing.

If you have evidence of domestic abuse, you can file for a restraining order or a domestic violence injunction that will also legally force him to leave.

At the very least, try to get a free consultation with an attorney.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sureluck!! You'll find lots of support here on SR!!
Old 09-11-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't cry. Stay as strong as you are! An attorney will help you with the eviction process and paperwork. You deserve better!
Old 09-11-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Check out some locksmiths perhaps. Good luck. Time to think of yourself.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What Berrybean said about the locksmiths. Why don't you just get the locks changed when he leaves the house? If you are in a good mood you could box his stuff up for him and leave it in the yard. If he has a problem you can call the police at that point.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

PS There are some wise and experienced folk over in the Friends and Family area. It might be worth posting your question there as well as in the Newcomers area, just in case some people who've dealt with the same thing already miss it....

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 09-11-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No disrespect, but if this guy is already nasty while drinking, then I wouldn't suggest changing the locks, without legal backup. I can imagine the 'fun' he would have with your windows! Been there in the past and it wasn't nice to be on the receiving end x
Old 09-11-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with Zanna. Is there a domestic abuse center you could go to? If he's a mean drunk now, it's no one's guess what he might do when he finds out you're kicking him out. I would also file a protective order against him. I know this sounds a bit much but better safe...
Old 09-12-2016, 12:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also agree with Zanna .. if you're going to do anything of the sort, be safe about it and don't be alone when he comes "home" to discover that he's no longer able to enter and that you're moving on.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Sure luck to a wonderful community with lots of women who have been what your going through read the threads & stick around x
Old 09-14-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpioPhobe View Post
What Berrybean said about the locksmiths. Why don't you just get the locks changed when he leaves the house? If you are in a good mood you could box his stuff up for him and leave it in the yard. If he has a problem you can call the police at that point.
Here in Florida,I was told that if he has been living here longer than 30 days,he is a tenant and I cannot change the lock est....I am at my wits end.Today is really bad...
Old 09-14-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
I agree with Zanna. Is there a domestic abuse center you could go to? If he's a mean drunk now, it's no one's guess what he might do when he finds out you're kicking him out. I would also file a protective order against him. I know this sounds a bit much but better safe...
That's exactly what I want and need to do.But will they grant me one,If it's verbal & emotional abuse,with no bruises?