Notices

3 days sober

Old 09-11-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days sober

Hello all,

I had my last drink on Thursday. I've been drinking for 30 years this month and I've had enough. But today I have a serious craving and a bit of a headache it may be because I'm a bit anxious. I have no booze in the house and I guess I'm just asking if any of you had similar problems?

Cheers, Dean
Old 09-11-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome DG. I think the answer to your question is most all of us felt like you do. Read around you will find you are not alone with how you feel right now.

You will also find a lot of useful information and support to get you through these hard times. Look up the September Class. It is full of members getting started just like you.

I'm in the August class and it has really helped.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living the life

Welcome Dean! I am waking up to my day six. I have also been a long term drinker. I will tell you it was an absolute blessing to wake up without a hangover on this lovely Sunday morning, but I am still at the stage where alcohol is taking up too much real estate in my head. I am trying to keep busy to ward it off. Chores and hobbies can be your new best friends
Old 09-11-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey thanks for the feedback. I make music in my spare time and I've got a load of books to read. Lots of people say it's temporary so I'll ride it out
Old 09-11-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Grats Dean good to see you bud
Old 09-11-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dean!!
Old 09-11-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision to refuse to live in continued bondage to alcohol. Personally, I suffered with cravings for several weeks after I stopped drinking. Unfortunately, I allowed myself to relapse a few times in order to give myself relief from the cravings, only to discover that caving in to the cravings only made future ones worse. Maybe consider having an early lunch or dinner, or treat yourself to a nice dessert. When people first gave me these tips, I thought, "Your'e kidding me, right? I have cravings, people, and I can't think of anything else but drinking!" Actually, though, eating and drinking a good non-alcoholic beverage during those moments of cravings worked for me, once I was willing to actually take action during those moments and not capitulate to my alcoholic thinking. Eating, chores, chopping, reading, or almost any activity that does not involve alcohol and keeps a person busy is worth considering during early sobriety. Thank you for the post.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Dean! And congrats on 3 days. The first 5 or 6 days were the hardest for me. Then the roller coaster of emotions comes in but this forum and the lovely people on it helped me through. I have 5 weeks today and I know I will continue to have struggles but I also know that as long as I reach out and don't pick up I can do this thing and stay sober.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I concur with Elicia. First 5-6 days roughest, then emotional ups and downs for awhile, some is just our brain being a bit raw, but then our ego will talk to us, tell us stories, associating alcohol with relief.

The ego hates change. Learn to recognize that voice and ignore it. Or trick it with a day at a time, haha. Tell your ego you'll have a drink tomorrow and he will be happy, lol. Rinse and repeat.