Notices

Wedding shower

Old 09-10-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wedding shower

Well I'm on my 10th week of sobriety and it has been good! I'm finally getting used to not drinking. I have been semi reintroducing myself to situations where alcohol is involved. I went to a wedding shower where everyone was sipping wine seamlessly. Those are the situations I don't like. People making drinking look glamorous. I was in a super nice home with a gorgeous backyard with lots of wine. I think maybe I'll go back to my sobriety hole I was in for a little bit. Because I am not that glamorous drinker nor should I ever think I can do it normally!! I know I can't.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats Linz!
Old 09-10-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 weeks Linz!

Comparing outselves to other people leads to either arrogance or resentment. (I know because I have to stop myself from doing it too!) I find gratitude for what I have is a good antidote. It shuts up the judge-y voice in my head.

Those glamorous people sipping their wine are not going to put their anxieties, insecurities and unhappinesses on show for everyone, are they?
Old 09-10-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wonder how many of those 'glamorous drinkers', were vomiting when they got home though Well done x
Old 09-10-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know it's just an illusion. If I would have been drinking I would have been worried all about how much free wine I could down. But instead I laughed with family. I just realized maybe I'm not ready to reenter the normal world quite as much as I thought. I'm very grateful to be where I am at but tonight just threw me off a tad. I was a little envious that I'm not a normal drinker. However, I never want to go back. I'm clear headed, making good decisions. I haven't felt shame in 70 days and sleeping extroidinarily better then ever!!
Old 09-10-2016, 10:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Linz,
I loved your description of the sober hole. I have about the same amount of sobriety as you and I still have to run and hide from time to time. I don't think it's a bad thing. What ever works for us. Congrats on your sobriety.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
Linz,
I loved your description of the sober hole. I have about the same amount of sobriety as you and I still have to run and hide from time to time. I don't think it's a bad thing. What ever works for us. Congrats on your sobriety.
Thanks Matt! Congrats on the sobriety also. For the first 30 days I refused to be around it. I wanted to break the normality it can seem to be. I felt protected. Now that I hAve been around it more I don't want to normalize it again. Not this early in the game at least! We're not missing anything that's for sure !
Old 09-11-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
I wonder how many of those 'glamorous drinkers', were vomiting when they got home though Well done x
First of all - Congrats on 10 weeks.

Definitely nothing glamorous to the way my wife is feeling right now - never been a big drinker will have 3 or 4 and then stop - same last night but sometimes that's all it takes for her to literally poison herself now lay there vomiting and feeling like death - does make me wonder at all how she now feels there is any benefit or how it is worth it.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm about to get up and out on my bike with my daughter after that taking my mum shopping before cooking a family meal - she looks like she's done for the day - in bed - rough as - not something we are missing out on at all.

Guessing you're feeling pretty good to unlike the others you were with last night - have a good sober day.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 weeks keep going
Old 09-11-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What Miss Perfumando said right here: "Comparing outselves to other people leads to either arrogance or resentment. (I know because I have to stop myself from doing it too!) I find gratitude for what I have is a good antidote. It shuts up the judge-y voice in my head." Very powerful stuff right there and SPOT ON for me and maybe you also?

Im a bit behind you in regards to sobriety but one thing I have realized is that with our drug of choice ( alcohol) there is no hole to climb into really, to escape the barrage of suggestions that alcohol is ok, acceptable and yes even glamourous, but we know different dont we? Somehow my nights didnt turn out like those attrative models and actresses/actors in the TV commercials, billboards, magazine ads. Yeah....No, my nights and days with alcohol were pretty damn ugly/sad/sick etc. Some may be able to have that but Im not one of them and you know what? Im actually OK with today. Maybe we just need to get to some place of acceptance ya know?

I know in the course of my life, Ive drank more then probably 100 'normal' drinkers in theirs. Ive had my fair share and Im ok now with just being done.

Blessings to you.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I do not think drinking is glamorous at all. It was more the evening. I never had been to a mansion before so it was like the night as a whole looked picture perfect but in reality I know that's not the case. I'm definitely glad to wake up sober that's for sure. Today I have a slept to much hangover though
Old 09-11-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know , Linz. Long ago, a man I had loved married someone else. This made me very sad. I shared the sadness with my then SO, now my husband. All he said was, "what? You think (so and so) will never see another bad day?" That has always stayed with me, particularly when I am glimpsing other people's seemingly trouble-free lives. Everyone has their sorrows. We just don't know what they are. Peace.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Don't think sobriety as a hole & big congrats on ten weeks
Old 09-11-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 10 weeks Linz

D