Notices

Sober wedding party - I did it!

Old 09-10-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Sober wedding party - I did it!

I had a huge party to go to last night. I knew there was going to be an open bar and live music. Lots of old friends and family members.. All in all, the makings of a "slip" off my nearly 7 week sobriety.

Before I got there... It was thinking it could go either way. The days before last night, I had started thinking "what if" .... What if I drank? I thought, it's a party right? I could have a few. Catch a buzz? It's a party...How could I possibly have "fun" without drinking?

As I sat in the parking lot before walking in... I spent 15 minutes going through my plan and what I would do.... My plan was to walk up to bar, order a club soda with a splash of cranberry or maybe a lime. Sounds easy?

Everyone at my table was drinking. Lots of talk about drinking too. People were mixing beer, wine and mixed drinks (rookies!). But I was only asked once during the night "what I was drinking". I just said "it's club soda" and that "I didn't feel like drinking at the moment". That was the end of that.

In fact, I learned that I really didn't have to justify or give a reason... That was my rookie mistake...LOL. I realized I don't have to make up excuses for NOT drinking. Also, the first time I ordered my drink they put it in a large glass. I don't know why... but the next times I asked the bartender to make it in a "drink" glass. This at least made it look "like a drink"... I think it helped.

So let me tell you all........ It wasn't easy. But I managed to spend 4 hours and remained alcohol free!

What a splendid feeling going to bed and waking up this morning.... So proud and I just wanted to share. I hope it helps others to show it can be done! That's right "I am proud"! !

I now realize it is possible to have "fun" and that I have the power to stay sober in these situations.

The best part is how I feel great I feel today!
I am going to cherish the moment....

Thanks for listening!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

See there........"you're not gonna let 'em catch ya now, not gonna let 'em catch the MidnightRider....."

atta boy
Old 09-10-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Inspirational post. Big smile here.

Now that i am sober, seeing how folks act when drunk is sobering.

Nothing beats waking up hang over free. Dealing w life has gotten easier and easier since quitting.

Never drinking again.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job! In the society we live in theres no way we can avoid alcohol ya know. It just permeates every single aspect of our lives and the fact that any of us is sober is a miracle in and of itself!!! Kudos to ALL of us!

We went out for dinner last light and just looking around at other people at other tables drinking their wine/beer...I wasnt looking longingly but just notcing peoples drinking habits, like yeah that guy has had three drinks and his dinner hasnt even gotten to his table yet, or wow that woman has been sipping on that glass of wine for like 45 minutes now! I would been on my fourth in that period of time lol!!

Anyways, you're right it feels so good to get through those times and be of clear mind and body. Waking up with no regrets or despair or self loathing....PRICELESS!

Thank you for another day Sober!
Old 09-10-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job

Old 09-10-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

FANTASTIC! Good for you
I love seeing posts like this.
Keep on keeping on!
Old 09-10-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great for you I'm only on day one and have been pondering all the situations where alcohol is a large part of - it's nice to read it can be positive . I know Christmas period will be a big test for me !
Old 09-10-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I made it thru a bachelorette party sober a few weeks ago! It was no big deal. I was the only sober one and no one even asked if I wanted a drink. I went home that night just super proud so I know. Great job!!
Old 09-10-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats Midnight Rider and Linz805!
Old 09-10-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome hear, Midnight! Yes, it can be done we all need to be reminded of that. Hey, we can even have more fun in the long run sober and no hangovers are to be savored.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ooona View Post
Good job! In the society we live in theres no way we can avoid alcohol ya know. It just permeates every single aspect of our lives and the fact that any of us is sober is a miracle in and of itself!!! Kudos to ALL of us!

We went out for dinner last light and just looking around at other people at other tables drinking their wine/beer...I wasnt looking longingly but just notcing peoples drinking habits, like yeah that guy has had three drinks and his dinner hasnt even gotten to his table yet, or wow that woman has been sipping on that glass of wine for like 45 minutes now! I would been on my fourth in that period of time lol!!

Anyways, you're right it feels so good to get through those times and be of clear mind and body. Waking up with no regrets or despair or self loathing....PRICELESS!

Thank you for another day Sober!
Yes, alcohol is everywhere, it seems. The grocery store we go to about 3 times a week is undergoing some sort of re-organization....moving things around and giving the in store Starbucks a new 'corner', etc.

We don't mind that so much, but they have moved all the wine from a back corner of the store to an up front and center isle/section. What the heck? Why do they need to do that? My husband spoke to the director yesterday and told her what he thought of that...she told him they were trying to make the store more 'family friendly'....what the heck? Putting the alcohol up there gives the wrong message, especially to kids...they are going to get the message that alcohol is an essential part of the grocery shopping and eating family meals....he told the director that and she was sort of speechless.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fantastic job! I have a wedding to attend in the spring l'm vaguely worried about. No way am I risking 4 hours at the reception. By the spring I will be one year sober and probably feeling cocky about it. I think I'll just peel off after fifteen minutes or so and get the hell out of Dodge. Anyways, good job again. If you can outlast a wedding reception you're probably ready for anything!
Old 09-10-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
Fantastic job! I have a wedding to attend in the spring l'm vaguely worried about. No way am I risking 4 hours at the reception. By the spring I will be one year sober and probably feeling cocky about it. I think I'll just peel off after fifteen minutes or so and get the hell out of Dodge. Anyways, good job again. If you can outlast a wedding reception you're probably ready for anything!
Yep! I had an exit plan too and could have left any time. But after a while... I was just having fun! I even danced with the bride (and I never dance!)

Frankly, the thought of drinking hardly crossed my mind. I was truly partying sober!

I gotta take it one day at a time... But now I know It is possible to not drink at a major event.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done MR

D
Old 09-11-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fantastic MidnightRider!!
Old 09-11-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is awesome! Congrats. In my experience it gets easier and easier every time. The first time is always the hardest. Well done.