Quick question

Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick question

I've been reading through the meeting list in my district for Al anon.

What does AFG stand for?

I understand there are several different groups and meetings.
They're all labeled with different titles, for example: Recovery is Served AFG, Al-Anon Works AFG.
Is this just the name of that specific home group?

I was supposed to go last night but started getting nervous at the last second. I'd gone to that specific meeting 2 years ago and everyone was very nice to me and was urging me to come back. I didn't. Now two years later I'm in a ltitle deeper and have a daughter with my RA fiance.

I guess I'm just judging myself pretty harshly because the help was there, and I blew it off two years ago just to bind myself to a logic that I could save him... and that they had just all failed.

I just am trying to understand Al Anon a little better so I can pick a meeting.
I'd also gone to an open speaker meeting. I didnt care much for it at that time.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

It means an Al-Anon Family Group open to Friends and Family to support the family and friends of the alcoholic.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's the umbrella name for the national organization--Al-Anon Family Groups. Home groups will have names like Serenity AFG, or the name of the area where they got their start. and...no one will judge you for returning to a meeting after two years. You will be welcomed, I guarantee it.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Info above is correct. Please don't be shy about going back to your group. Just as with AA, people aren't always ready for Al-Anon the first time they come. Long-time members TOTALLY understand that, and nobody will judge you harshly. The will all be happy you are now ready to rock your recovery.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.
I know it's just me judging myself.
When I went before I attended three different meetings. One of them was more appealing to me than the others and one was an open speaker meeting that I didn't particularly enjoy.
I didn't talk much at two of them, but during the one I liked more than the others I started talking but kept it short and sweet because I felt like my throat was closing to hold off the tears. This time around, I plan to keep quiet until I'm a lot more comfortable. I'm some what of a shy person, and I dont like crying in front of people. This is a subject that listening to, reading about, and talking about often puts me in tears. Though people won't judge- I am my own worst critic. Just going to start out slowly and be patient with it.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is definitely the way to roll. There should be NO pressure for a newcomer or anyone else to share. Listen and learn is my motto.