Notices

What do you do instead?

Old 09-07-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do instead?

*** I tried deleting this post because after posting it, i realized there's a sticky thread about making lists of things to do... haha. Sorry guys, If someone can tell me how to delete this, i'd appreciate it***

Hi! I'm sure this post has been made before, and I did try searching through a lot of the older threads but couldn't find anything.

I just would like to know the main things you guys do, especially during early recovery, when the cravings hit. I know there's lots of suggestions about having lists of things you can do in the midst of triggers and whatnot, which I do have... just curious about the specific things y'all do and what works for you.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Something that helped me a lot was timing the worst cravings. Knowing that the worst part of it would be over in say 12-15 minutes and just thinking "I can get through this next minute" and doing that over and over until it passed.

In rehab te addiction psychologist said that contact with water really helps bad cravings. She said that it comes from the fact that we were developed in the womb, surrounded by watery liquid so at some level this is unconsciously comforting. If you are at home you can take a shower or a bath. if you are out in public, go smash your face with water, or dap water not he back of your neck, inside or your wrists or wash your hands for an extended period of time.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I spent entire evenings logged in here, reading and posting about recovery. Mainly reading. Hours and hours.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I spent entire evenings logged in here, reading and posting about recovery. Mainly reading. Hours and hours.
Me too. :-)

Entire day's actually. I sucked up every bit of knowledge and information from this site that I could.

That, and drank loads of fizzy water, my brain had got so accustomed to associating thirst with "wanting an alcoholic dink" that I had to retrain it.

Good luck :-)
Old 09-08-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t think there's any need to delete it.
We may get some fresh suggestions

I got a lot of value out of volunteering...I know not everyone can do that, but it certainly helped me get out of my own head and start to make human connections again
Old 09-08-2016, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I am always confused where people get the time and energy to do the things listed. I only have time for AA, Work, service, and sleep.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Not enough hours in the day is my problem. There are a million things to do, and only one thing not to do.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

...or wash your hands for an extended period of time...
then I have to pee, especially if the water is warm....
Old 09-08-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Like others, I read around SR a lot.

I watched a lot of documentaries on Youtube and read books about the damaging effects of alcohol, personal stories etc. That gave me a lot of motivation to stay sober and was educational.

I exercised every day for the first few weeks. It was a way of channeling my obsessiveness into something else.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I go for hikes. Read. Come here. Go to meetings. Babysit my grand daughter. Bake. Simple things, but between work and sleep, I don't have time for much else. I'd like to find a volunteering opportunity, I think that would be really good for me.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A few of my life-coping mechanisms....things I do when stressed or restless or discontent....these would lead to risk for my emotional (rather than physical) sobriety...in no particular order

Go to a meeting
Nap
Call my (sober) boyfriend or sponsor; Mom, too (depending on the angst)
Run
Read fiction
Read a recovery memoir (ordering Eliz Vargas's here shortly)
Walk the dog
Find Netflix shows to rewatch as background noise; or a new series
Happy movie (Love Actually and Julie and Julia are faves)
Read the BB - sometimes just flipping to a random ch, sometimes looking for something specific to what I am feeling
browse you tube for music that fits the mood I have or want to get (back) to
Write on my blog or jot out ideas for future posts
Browse SR for interesting/applicable thread topics
Go to the grocery store- I can always use more fruit and Diet Coke.
Write snail mail (I keep a box of stationery handy)
Pick up an extra shift at work if I feel like time on my hands would be a bad idea
Old 09-08-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Early on, I immersed myself in recovery -- I read here and posted, I chatted online with others in recovery, I read books, I began running and training for races, I learned weight lifting, I took extra vitamins (especially Bs), I went to some meetings (AA and WFS), and I finished my 20-day IOP program and went to aftercare for about two years, did therapy for a while, volunteered at the women's shelter, and so on.

My life is nothing like that now. I feel 'recovered' yet vigilant. SR is my main source of recovery interaction, inspiration, and a way of giving back. Also serves as a guiding path and a grim reminder of where I can no longer tread if I want a good life.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was in early recovery and the urge to drink hit, I'd walk my dogs. The urge was gone by the time we got home and we all got some fresh air and exercise so it was good for all of us.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Least reminded me ... how could I forget dogs?? I got two beagle dogs my first year. They have been invaluable to me in recovery. They were wonderful examples of living mindfully, living simply, and enjoying what's in the present. I needed to learn not to live in the past or the future. They helped in that way.

Plus, they love me.

Gardening was another one! And very slowly, I began reading fiction again.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CajunPrincess View Post
*** I tried deleting this post because after posting it, i realized there's a sticky thread about making lists of things to do... haha. Sorry guys, If someone can tell me how to delete this, i'd appreciate it***

Hi! I'm sure this post has been made before, and I did try searching through a lot of the older threads but couldn't find anything.

I just would like to know the main things you guys do, especially during early recovery, when the cravings hit. I know there's lots of suggestions about having lists of things you can do in the midst of triggers and whatnot, which I do have... just curious about the specific things y'all do and what works for you.
To be perfectly honest, there wasn't anything specific I did when cravings hit. I just did anything, except drink. read, exercise, watch a program, lay down with my dog, call a friend....anything.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was much in the same framework as Jeff (Thomas11) -- do anything but do not drink. You cannot drink anymore. There were a few times I was in the midst of a particularly acute craving when I got in the shower and stayed there for a while. It helped very much.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Catch 22

I do not do anything differently. Just live my same life but do not drink. It seems simpler this way. I also do not have cravings for drink, just an overwhelming sadness when I am at a party or dinner and I do not drink.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Eat a kingsized bar of chocolate whilst remembering that I was going to get to bed a sober person without hurting anyone or ending up in the cells.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Walk dogs at your local animal shelter. The dogs are very distracting, you get some exercise, you're performing a valuable service and you meet new people.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Early in the day, will go for a run, go to the gym or do a walk. After some water, maybe a diet coke is in order.
Later at night a nice bath calms me down, takes that edgy feeling away. I also use a nice body scrub that makes me feel invigorated.
And, a glass of diet A&W root beer with ice usually solves the sweet tooth.