Notices

Early recovery and antidepressants

Old 09-07-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Early recovery and antidepressants

I'm 14 days sober. I also have a panic/anxiety issue. I used to take zoloft but stopped, not sure why but I did. It helped a lot. I can't see my physician for 10 more days so I was wondering, are antidepressants like zoloft recommended during recovery? I'd like to start them again but want some input on if they are recommended since my body is in a state of healing. I can refill the prescription right now, but as I remember the first week of taking them brought on a bit more anxiety. I take klonopin as well, not the greatest I know but I never abused it and I'm here to address my issues with alcohol. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, we're not doctors and can't give medical advice but I took my zoloft during early recovery. If it helped you a lot and you can renew your prescription, why not?
Old 09-07-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

After posting this I decided I'm going to start it again, but really ease into it. My doctor told me before to start with a quarter pill for a few days, then half, then full. Gonna stretch those phases out a bit more and listen to my body. Was more looking to see if anyone had bad experiences with this.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Following drs orders is always the best idea.

I started an antidepressant just as I began recovery and, for me, it helped to level the playing field. I hope yours works well.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been on Lexipro for a long time and my doctor said to keep on with the normal routine.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Not a good idea to stop or start anything without seeing your doctor.

You, your body and your brain chemistry are not the same as when you stopped on your own.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

never done them - I probably should- but I never will- but probably should- but never will, anyways do what your doc recommends Joey congrats on 14 days
Old 09-07-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

EFEXOR-XR works great for me
Old 09-07-2016, 10:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SSRI's take time to start working. If your doc prescribed them, then there was a reason for it. I would take them as your doc stated.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've taken prozac since I was pretty young and still take it regularly to this day. probably would have been even more of a ***** in my first few days of sobriety if I hadn't have been on it.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input. Like I said I was just seeing if there were any horror stories or big concerns regarding this. As stayed above I'm going to start it again but really ease into it.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am a believer in taking the meds you need when a vigilant, good dr is in charge. Being honest with your dr is key, and this includes whether you take the meds as prescribed. I have most definitely played around with them in the past.

I take two pysch-specific drugs, and I take Campral which is an anti-craving med. I take seroquel nightly for sleep. I took Antabuse for the first 90 days. At nearly 7 mos I am very content with my regimen.

My boyfriend, who hit 90 days today, has been on one anti-depressant then changed to another because of side effects.

Dr care. If meds help, go for it. As my psych says, they are tools in the toolbox. Why not have as many as possible to stay sober and mentally healthy?