I think I am right about this

Old 09-07-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I am right about this

I think I already know the answer to this already but, wanted to get a few opinions.

AS moved out of town and is supposedly starting a new life with his "friend". He has a job now. Doing what he does best...sales recruiting. I have seen pics of him and he looks good...like my "old son" but, he has not done any treatment for his opioid/bath salts addiction. He has admitted to being an addict but he can "kick" this on his own. So he says.

Has anyone here been through this before? Where they try and really make it? or does it normally end in disaster?

I'm holding my breath.......
Old 09-07-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Plink,
I am glad that your son seems to be doing well. Many, many addicts quit using without any program.
My son had help in detox and then a while in sober living, but he isn't active in a program. He also seems to be doing okay.
My motto is that no news is good news. As long as how he chooses to lead his life isn't negatively impacting my life, then it's none of my business.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know someone very well who had an opiod addiction for about 6 or 7 years. (Pills, oxys) One day, they decided that they were done. And that was it. They haven't used since. It took over 6 months before they felt that they were back on good footing physically. But they did it. By themselves. And have been clean now for years.

My dad was a horrible alcoholic when I was growing up. Really, really bad. For years he would go to AA in bits in spurts, (ALWAYS came home drunk from there, always!) When I was 15, (after him drinking daily for decades) he decided he was done and never picked up another drink. No AA, no counseling, nothing. I never did learn what made him finally stop or how. But I do know he did it 100% on his own.

It does happen, that people kick addictions without "help". In my opinion they just have to be ready to change, well everything, they aren't going to kick it if they are still hanging out with all using friends, etc...