Notices

First night in 10 years no drink

Old 09-07-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First night in 10 years no drink

Hi Guys
Where do I start .I have been drinking every night at home for well best part of 10 years . Always found an excuse my day off or it is sunny ! The past 4 years it has taken over my life . Both my parents were diagnosed terminal and I guess I could not cope . They both passed 2 years ago . I drink a bottle of wine a night always start at 6 pm . I never drink in the day or desire a drink in the morning . Mainly because I feel and look so rough from the night before . Sometimes I had 2 bottles of wine just to knock me out . I feel so so ashamed. My health is also starting to be affected . So I decided to just stop . Last night my first drink free night . Still feel rough and look it and I knew I would not sleep . I am off work this week and intend to stick to just water every night hoping that by the end of this week I will sleep and start to feel better . I do feel anxiety but not to bad at the moment . I just need to sleep . Anyway thank you for listening any tips would be great.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it. Stay with it. Keep posting your progress. It helps, knowing you're not going through it alone.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. I, too, go to wine when I need to escape. The next day I feel like hell and swear I would never drink it again! I hope you feel better. It takes about 3 days of being sick and anxious. Fluids like water or coconut milk are a good choice. Good luck!♡CR
Old 09-07-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Wine is my problem too!

Xoxo there's a plan thread I'll try find for you.

Found it!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 09-07-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like anything with lime and ginger in it as it has a bit of a bite to it. On airplanes I often drink tonic water and lime.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, furze!

If you want to stop drinking, this place is a good start.
There's lots of support and information for you here.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
fgo

Welcome furze,
There is a September newcomers support thread that you should join, people just starting out like you. It really helped me get through the first weeks.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome F. For the physical withdraws I drank lots of fluids (gatorade), tried to eat lots of fruits and vegetables and plenty of rest. For the mental side of things I was on this site a lot.

I read everything I could. Forums, blogs, articles, etc. It really opened my eyes to how serious my problem was even though I didn't drink every day (I was a binge drinker) which helped me make up my mind that I no longer wanted to drink. Reading also gave me useful tools to help and lots of hope from the success stories.

Stick around read and post often.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for the support and advice . I have my flavoured water chilling for tonight expecting another restless night but will be worth it
x
Old 09-07-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Welcome furze! SR helped me get through those first few days. Read and post a lot, and find encouragement in the stories of others and the comraderie we have here.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
South Asian

The first step is always hard. Congratulations. There is good advice all over this site. I think the clear consensus is that for people drinking hazardously (which is pretty much everyone who comes here), life is better without alcohol. The problem is getting this simple realisation reflected in conduct. I am finding it difficult, although I am a binge and not a daily drinker. I wish you all the best in your journey ahead. If you stay the course, soon you will feel better, you will look better, you will think better. Then the problem will be to stop the voice that says, life is so good, let's have a drink. And inevitably, the entire cycle will start again. It's pretty much the same story for everyone in this regard who starts thinking it will be different this time. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you! Stay hydrated and eat frequent meals with protein and don't ask much of yourself other than to rest and start to heal. For me, the worst day physically was day 4, but it got easier from there.

You never have to wake up hating yourself again.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Furze,

Very sorry to hear about your parents - that really is tough.

Sounds like you have a good plan to use some time off work to tackle this. I'm pretty new to this too (just reached a week) - was also on a bottle a night and I know what you mean about "any excuse".

As someone else mentioned, there's a Newcomers thread "Class of September 2016" if you want to connect with people just starting out.

Agree the nights can be difficult. Don't know if it's any help, but I like to listen to podcasts - helps to distract me from my own head!

x
Old 09-07-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 09-07-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Furze!!
Old 09-07-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Warm welcome Furze, you've made a fantastic decision. Lots of good advice already. Go wild with the soft drinks, experiment and get anything you fancy. Keep busy at the times you would normally drink, doesn't matter what with, cleaning, organising, gardening, phone somebody, go for a walk............. just get through for the first phase. You will start to feel better really soon.
xx
Old 09-07-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum, you are in a good place here
Old 09-07-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi furze! Congratulations on making the decision to quit

My tip would be to try to arrange some non stressful activity in the evenings in order to minimise the cravings which are strongest in the early days
Old 09-07-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm very glad to meet you, furze - and so happy you are reclaiming your life.

Talking things over here really helped me after a 30 yr. drinking career. You're no longer alone.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. It sounds like you've been drinking for quite some time, as I was. If things get really bad, go to the ER. They will help you. Detox can be very dangerous.

Wishing you patience and strength tonight.