Notices

It was when I was willing to go "All In" that I began to heal

Old 09-06-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Your life is your story. Write well. Edit Often.

It was when I was willing to go "All In" that I began to heal

When i was hitting rock bottom I knew I needed help. And I was willing to go all in. I am forever grateful.

In July 2014, in the midst of full fledged addiction, I put my house on the market. Somewhere deep in my soul I KNEW that I was in serous trouble and that I needed help. And with help, comes the need for money. The only money I had left was in my house. It was my last material possession that my ego was holding onto. It was either keep the house and continue with the insanity - or sell it and open the doors of opportunity to reclaim my sanity. I went all in. (With the guidance and strength from my HP - I was delivered a helper. A realtor in recovery). I put the house on the market - and sold it.

On August 13, 2014 - I received my cash payout. I paid off all my debts. I had a little nest egg left for me. The question was would I keep it or would I blow it. Would I allow my addiction to take something else away from me - or would I find the courage and strength to love myself?

Within 45 days of selling my house - I went all in. I decided I would quit my job and check myself into a rehab facility. That was October 1, 2014. That was the last day I drank alcohol. That was the day I went all in. It was me, my HP and my willingness against my addictions.

Are YOU ready and willing to go all in? I surely hope so. Keep coming back. Don't leave before the miracle happens. Let us love you until you can love yourself.

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but to serve others at whatever cost." - Arthur Ashe
Old 09-06-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome John Congratulations on your sobriety
Old 09-06-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

stellar example of the "willing to do whatever it takes" that it really does take to be ready.

thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your sobriety.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good stuff!
Old 09-06-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Really nice post John. Glad you found your way.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi John - it's great to meet you. Thank you for the wisdom, & congrats on your sober time. It's wonderful you reclaimed your life.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you, great that you trusted your higher power and got sober
Old 09-06-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm all in!! Great job on making a choice that took care of you!!
Old 09-06-2016, 10:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. Could you have gone to rehab without quitting your job?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is awesome. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your life is your story. Write well. Edit Often.

Thanks for the question @time2rise I appreciate you.

I was asked that same question during rehab and I approached my work which was very kind to invite me back after my 30 days in rehab. I was grateful to return to my position and I considered it a blessing.

As I continued to work I realized that I was not able to give 100% to my career nor 100% to my sobriety. I needed to make a choice - and I firmly believed (and believe in more deeply today) that anything I put ahead of my sobriety I would lose. As such, I worked with my managers on an exit plan that worked for both of us, and in mid-July 2015 I exited my job with with grace, dignity and professionalism.

I decided I would take the next year to focus on my sobriety. And more importantly to work on me - as I learned early on that "drinking is but a symptom."

With the help of several anonymous recovery programs, my HP and my own hard work I was able to accomplish what I set out to do during my year off: Forgive and heal. And on August 1, 2016 - I returned to my career - in a new firm. I am the best version of me I have ever been. I am grateful.