Notices

Day One Again

Old 09-06-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nels

Day One Again

I haven't posted since last summer but I read the forums daily. Last July I had 20 sober days, the longest in many, many years.
Today I am starting over, Lately, I have been suffering horrible panic attacks the day after drinking and I cannot live like this anymore. I have a history of anxiety issues and have been prescribed Clonazapem which I started this morning.
Any words of encouragement or stories of other's struggles are appreciated, it helps feel less alone in this battle.
Thanks for listening.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

9/6/16 is a great sobriety date!

make it your last!

same date as my sponsor who got sober in 1989

i sent him a 27 year gratitude text today

everyone has a day one

Old 09-06-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also deal with severe anxiety and panic attacks, so I can relate to what you're going through. I could be wrong, but I think people like us with these problems experience even more severe anxiety and panic attacks once we quit drinking. My theory is that we are already half-way there, so when we quit drinking, these problems really skyrocket. The medication should help (I also am on meds), but I combine that with trying to be more active. I spend a lot of time at the gym, but others might walk, jog, go bike riding, etc. Really helps to keep the anxiety in check. I think just being around people helps with the anxiety. I still have a panic attack occasionally, but their pretty mild and don't last long.
Just another reason not to drink. Hope that helps. John
Old 09-06-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nels

John, may I ask if you started having panic attacks the day after, say the following afternoon, and if so do you think it was withdrawal from the binge the night before?
Thx
Old 09-06-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had many relapses also. The fact that you made 20 days shows you can effectively quit, the problem occurs once you do. I agree with the prior poster about the benefits of exercise, and healthy diet. My anxiety took a long time to diminish but I manage it now without meds.

It also helped me to learn that a lot of my anxiety comes from my own thinking, and the voice of my ego. My interpretation of events is distorted. I found A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle very helpful, also Awareness by Anthony DeMello. And I finally went into AA recovery.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you posted! I think we can all agree that a life with alcohol in the way we addicts use it is no way to live. I know my last hangover I felt like death. Never want to feel even CLOSE to that way again. We're all in this one together, and I have found SR very helpful already and have only been at this for 11 days, myself.

Keep posting. You will find lots of support here.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome back have you got a plan ?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JP519 View Post
John, may I ask if you started having panic attacks the day after, say the following afternoon, and if so do you think it was withdrawal from the binge the night before?
Thx
I think it was the binge drinking that caused the panic attacks after quitting. For me, the extreme anxiety and panic attacks would be at their worst for the next three days or so. Sometimes it was hard distinguishing between the panic attacks and the extreme anxiety; they were both so bad. Had to stay home during that time, cause being around people would bring them on. It was tough enough staying home and going through that, but it was a lot easier than trying to go out and be around people. I was usually able to venture out a little after the third day, but still kept it short. Had to even force myself to do that. Not fun having an attack in a grocery store. It's a living hell. Took me around two weeks to feel like myself again. Don't know if that answers your question but I hope it helps. Took me time and knowing my limits. John
Old 09-06-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe should also add. Like I said earlier, I am still prone to an occasional mild panic attack. Drinking and the withdrawals just kicked it up into high gear. John
Old 09-06-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nels

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Welcome back have you got a plan ?
Right now my plan is to do everything possible to not drink but I am certainly open to suggestions!

Also curious if anyone experienced low blood sugar after a binge, sometimes it's hard to distinguish between that and a panic attack. I barely ate yesterday, drank last night and felt faint this morning.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Right now my plan is to do everything possible to not drink but I am certainly open to suggestions!

Also curious if anyone experienced low blood sugar after a binge, sometimes it's hard to distinguish between that and a panic attack. I barely ate yesterday, drank last night and felt faint this morning.
I would suggest drinking lots of water, and eat something sweet. Gatoraide or Orange Juice might also help. John
Old 09-06-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some great ideas here JP:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D