Notices

Question during beginning stages.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question during beginning stages.

Hey everyone,

So I made it through the holiday weekend without drinking. Hooray!

I tend to over-analyze things... Just a warning in advance.

My question is that I have noticed over this past week that anything I drink - water, coffee, soda - makes my stomach and throat feel a little odd. I feel a lot fuller than normal when I eat just about anything, and any liquids I take in exacerbate the feeling of fullness. Having a glass of water makes it feel like I just ate another huge meal.

And I was really only able to eat once per day all weekend. The feeling of fullness lasted me throughout. Hell, I didn't even need to eat until NOON on Friday (took that day off for an extra long weekend). That's unheard of for me. I always wake up starving. On Saturday I just had some almonds in the morning, an iced latte at Starbucks, and then I made it clear until 3pm before I started really feeling hungry. The rest of the weekend was the same.

It's just weird and I wonder if any of you have had a similar experience starting out. Or maybe I'm just getting up there in age and my metabolism is taking a hit? I turned 32 this year. I've been told things start to slow down a decent amount around then. It's 8:45a here and all I've had today is a slice of bread and a pear. Normally by now I'd be hangry for my usual omlette, but every time I drink my water or coffee, I feel like I've just had a large snack.

*Shrug*
Old 09-06-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through the weekend.

It might be a good idea to talk to your dr about what is happening.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Congratulations on making it through the holiday weekend!

I do think you are over-analyzing the situation. On the other hand, alcoholism can mask medical problems and it might be a good idea to see your doctor.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 09-06-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WAY TO GO!!!

Making it through a sober holiday weekend in the summer is a great accomplishment.

Great job. Celebrate that with a water.

As for your question, bottom line is a lot of things feel weird in early sobriety. You'll experience lots of changes and sensations and feelings and thoughts that may be new and confusing to you.

Some will be 'common' experiences. Others will be uniquely your own. Roll with them, ask and talk about them, but don't judge them or worry about them. It's a little bit of a roller coaster at first, but it's a journey that will improve your life immeasurably.