Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What started as a day walk turned epic long. Not sure if I should be proud or worried.

Notices

What started as a day walk turned epic long. Not sure if I should be proud or worried.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do it or not, and I'm going to pay for doing it. But I did. 42.8km (~26.6 miles). 50,000 steps on my fitbit. Not sure if I should be proud of myself, which I am, or worried that I push myself so much. I wasn't feeling the best today so I forced myself out on one of my old long walks. At some point on that walk it became a challenge to see if I could break some records. But part of it is also that self destructive voice talking to me, the same one that caused me to drink. Saying "walk till you bleed" lol. I guess it's still better. Man I'm tired and sore. Just wish I had some kind of intermediate gear. My whole life I've been a perfectionist mess. Neutral for 5th gear all the way. It means I have tremendous drive sometimes, but it also means I break down a lot.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Smilax View Post
Wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do it or not, and I'm going to pay for doing it. But I did. 42.8km (~26.6 miles). 50,000 steps on my fitbit. Not sure if I should be proud of myself, which I am, or worried that I push myself so much. I wasn't feeling the best today so I forced myself out on one of my old long walks. At some point on that walk it became a challenge to see if I could break some records. But part of it is also that self destructive voice talking to me, the same one that caused me to drink. Saying "walk till you bleed" lol. I guess it's still better. Man I'm tired and sore. Just wish I had some kind of intermediate gear. My whole life I've been a perfectionist mess. Neutral for 5th gear all the way. It means I have tremendous drive sometimes, but it also means I break down a lot.
You're a rock star!
Old 09-06-2016, 01:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

26 miles is a marathon & I know people train for them to be able to withstand the pressure it puts on all the body

With exercise I try not to push it too much but gradually increase it over time ?
Old 09-06-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome job.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

That's quite a walk you took there! Hope you didn't have to hitchhike home.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smilax View Post
I took me several months to train to run a marathon. After a solid year of half marathons and 5k's. I still lost two toenails, had serious chaffing on areas that my clothes rubbed and it took over a week to be able to walk without hurting. I drank a lot of fluids for the week going in to protect my body.

I think it's awesome you did this, but next time, prepare. Take care of yourself.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it seems to be in our nature this 'zero or a thousand' trait.

if we must be so-oriented, then at least let us funnel it into healthy, positive ends.

an epic daywalk is a pretty fantastic way to expend that energy of excess.

even as we work toward developing some intermediate gears, if we can find ways to direct our over-the-topness that bring benefit versus harm, then we are on a good track.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
it seems to be in our nature this 'zero or a thousand' trait.

if we must be so-oriented, then at least let us funnel it into healthy, positive ends.

an epic daywalk is a pretty fantastic way to expend that energy of excess.

even as we work toward developing some intermediate gears, if we can find ways to direct our over-the-topness that bring benefit versus harm, then we are on a good track.

Thanks that's true! If I'm going to have unhealthy habbit better they are funneled this way than drinking. There was indeed a sense of self punishment in what I was doing, however the funny thing is it was side by side with a happy determination too.

For those saying to be careful yes I push myself too hard in everything. However I do seem to be in ok shape. Before my drinking took over I was running 5 days a week (also excessive). I've been doing some hiking and trying to get back to by running although the run I did yesterday almost killed me lol.

Feeling sore today although surprisingly not too bad.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate.

I have trained for ultramarathons by running ultramarathons....

I have pushed my body far further than any conventional wisdom would indicate a person should be able to.... and yet it has worked. And it has been rewarding.

I AM working on being more diligent and conservative about training and other physical endeavors.... a nod to the fact that I'm 43 and entering that phase of life where being too aggressive, too stupid, not careful enough will lead to detrimental results.

Still - the pushing past limits and the excessive physical endeavors also bring about a realization of what we're truly capable of... help inspire more training and commitment, and bring about a reward of achievement that is really powerful.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Geez smilax....I'm feeling real bad about myself right now. Thanks pal. 😜

You should be very proud!
Old 09-06-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

50,000 steps on my fitbit.

My God, I would be sore!

I've done half that a couple of times, but I'm old so I cut myself some slack.