Notices

For cravings

Old 09-05-2016, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For cravings

Before I start this post, I would like to preface this by saying that I am NOT asking for medical advice, etc etc etc. I am just curious as if anyone here has in the past and/or currently takes certain medications that are supposed to eliminate or lessen cravings for alcohol. No need to even say what you take if you do... I'm just curious what the effects were on you and how much it helped with cravings.

The reason I ask is that I'm currently part of an intensive outpatient program for substance abuse, and the doctor that I see once a week told me about a couple medications that supposedly help with this.
I'm 23 days sober and it just feels like almost every night is still an intense mental battle with me white knuckling it all the way through, and the more days I gain sober, the more I think I'm about to crack.

If this post goes against the rules, I apologize in advance.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know of any meds. There's the one that'll make ya sick if you drink. But wanted to say good job on 23 days and for reaching out when you need help. It might start improving soon and the strength may begin to build as the days pile up. It takes a stud to make it this far so you should feel good about that. But if there's a tool at your disposal that will help and that you feel you need, then, by all means, use it.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know there's antabuse that is suppose to make you very sick if you drink on it, also I've heard of naltrexone. I've never used either so I can't offer any experience. I think there are quite a few other off-label meds as well.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My doctor prescribed Naltrexone for my initial period of sobriety. I don't know if it works, but I haven't had ANY cravings or desire to drink (Day 25 now).
Old 09-06-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I appreciate the input. My doctor had
Mentioned Campral and something else. I AM letting myself work through/feel the bad emotions, and I'm also seeing a therapist plus going to IOP, but the random urges and cravings that pop up out of nowhere and stay for hours is killing me.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CajunPrincess View Post
I appreciate the input. My doctor had
Mentioned Campral and something else. I AM letting myself work through/feel the bad emotions, and I'm also seeing a therapist plus going to IOP, but the random urges and cravings that pop up out of nowhere and stay for hours is killing me.
Cajun P....
Info and my experience-
Antabuse is the med that you take daily, and will make you sick (up to dying) if you drink while on it. It is also important to take this medicine exactly as prescribed- because of the fact that you can "play around with it" - ex, stop taking it a few days before you plan to drink, because it will be out of your system- some doctors require patients to come to the office every day for supervised dosing.

I took Antabuse last year- while still drinking- and didn't face severe consequences; I skipped doses, all kinds of junk, and had only one or two episodes of seizures....so that's what I did NOT consider bad. I would not suggest this.

I took it this year for the first 90 days of my sobriety; I religiously signed a paper, also got a witness signature, for each day. It became routine (I took those papers everywhere in my planner!!) and it was a great part of my "tool box." I did not think about drinking while on it and my dr thought 90 days was plenty for that part of my treatment regimen. It was a protective device for me, even when I didn't think (and looking back, don't necessarily think) that I needed it.

I used Naltrexone- you can get a shot that lasts a month, which many insurance plans do not cover and it is very expensive (1000 or more when I was given it for one month free); you can also take it daily. I did not personally find it very helpful - however, I really had no interest in quitting drinking and once I got out of inpatient, just carried on.

At nearly 7 mos, I am still on Campral. My psych plans for me to stay on it indefinitely. I take it 3x/day. I have had ZERO physical cravings and probably only a couple of emotional thoughts of drinking. My case is kind of extreme in that I was on the brink of death and simply cannot ever drink again; I made this decision on Feb 22 and there is no going back. IMO, if this drug helps someone even a good deal/a lot of the time with cravings, it is a good thing; I know that many people struggle well into sobriety with cravings.

My psych describes my rx regime as part of my arsenal and Campral is just one of our aids for me. I don't know that I have experienced any negative side effects because of it or my other meds, individually, per se. I think my "side effects" have been part of a significant detox and now recovery period.

Good luck- keep communicating with your doctors, and IMO, be open to trying things. I am philosophically in the corner of pro-meds when they will help us.