Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Expecting change to come like the grand finale of a fireworks show

Notices

Old 09-05-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

It is common to get sober and then expect an explosion of change to erupt in the sky like the grand finale of a 4th of July fireworks show. But those only come but once a year and waiting for it can make you anxious and impatient which could lead to a slip.

Change is more frequently seen at twilight with colorful sparklers you light in the privacy of your yard. Just because it is small doesn't mean it isn't just as flashy and magical as a burst of light in the sky. And you can light sparklers anytime.

There are probably major things in life that you have to fix, but getting there is a process and it can be disheartening when you seek the fireworks before it is even dark out. Accept the joy of the many little things that change in your life with sobriety.

Maybe we can all share some of the little things here.

For my example I will choose food. To a normal person eating is an expected function. But to someone recovering from both alcoholism and an eating disorder, eating real meals consistently everyday is a big change. I just never ate well when I was drinking - food gets in the way. And all the calories from the booze would put me into a panic. But I am eating well now and my body is appreciating it.

Share yours!
Old 09-05-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Being able to answer my phone and deal with the odd bit off social media/emails after 8pm without unpleasant consequences is an important change for me Lightning Bug. I live on my own and don't get many calls but in the past people knew not to bother
Old 09-05-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post. In my experience change comes in fits and starts.. a bit here, a sudden realization there, two steps forward, one step back.. it's a lifelong process, and qutting alcohol was just the first step for me. Change comes as a result of pain, and I have had plenty in sobriety. Practicing gratitude and learning acceptance are key for me, as is my program of recovery.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Catch 22

I stopped drinking to improve my health. That has happened.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel the fog starting to lift in my brain.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

God promises to change us so slowly we won't know it unless we look in the rear view mirror